lombardoi

WhiTe_TiGeR

I recently purchased some exceptionally colouful juvi P.Lombardoi and put them in a 4x18. My problem is deciding on what to keep with them if anything??? Just wanted some thoughts on what would be a good tank mate, that can handle the aggression and wont cross bread, because from my previous experience with them the male tried to mate with everything regardless of species or sex.

Thanks guys

Mate I reckon you give them a standard 3-4 foot tank and let them grow and watch them breed. ie a species only tank. It'll be fascinating to watch. I just watched my pseduos in the mating ritual today (actually spawning) for the 1st time. It was quite a day with seeing to girls lay eggs.

Thats my 2c worth

they'll be happier in a species only tank than in a tank with 3-4 fish from 4-5 different species.

Not sure what would co-habit well with lombardoi - I agree with Mike in this instance - a species only tank might be the way to go. Add a few more gurls.

HTH -

I would strictly keep 1 male only. When i had 2 male lombardoi in a 5ft both males had taken both halves of the tank and even though there was plenty of refuge for the females i just found it impossable to have more that one male. I suggest you keep all the females you get. I had 1 male 6 femlaes, quite often the male would have 4 females holding at once (sometimes all females). Have lots of rock work and move it around every fortnight (so as the male doesn't get hyper dominant) and you shouldn't have a problem.

Anthony thumb.gif

PS: Great fish, don't let the fact that some people de-value them stop you from keeping them.

PSS: i had N.Brichardi in with my lombardoi with no problems. Will only become a problem if the brichardi decide to breed.

I bred my lombardoi in a species only 3ft std tank with 1 male and 4 females and they did well in that. If you want to add something else make sure its a very tough fish that looks nothing like either the male or female lombardoi, or it will be harrassed to death.

Bob

thanks for the input. I had the same same idea as most of you guys, that is a species tank, thats why i bought 20 of them. smile.gif with the idea of removing excess males as soon as they can be sexed.

yeah, i agree with you anthony... the people who de-value them, are missing out on one nice fish... and besides i keep them for my enjoyment...

Archived