test kits

roo

Hi all,

Well I have set up my tank and filled it with water, I will adding water ager to it over the weekend and begin the process of cycling it. I was wondering what sort of test kit to get, one that is easy for a beginner to use. Everytime I walk into the LFS there is just heaps to choose from,should I just get the delux version with everything in it?

Your advice would be appreciated. For those that have helped before and are interested, I ended up buying a Eheim2217 and AC300 HOB filters and used black slate and sandstone for decorations with crushed marble for substrate. I am really happy with how it is all coming together.

I am intending to use fishless cycling as I am in no rush.

hi,

rather than buying individual kits, might be cheaper to find a 4 or 5 in 1 multi kit that will provide everything you need to start, e.g. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. If you're going to stock Africans make sure it's a high range pH test.

That's all you need for now, and maybe ever, though some people like to keep an eye on carbonate hardness levels. I'd recommend it cause it helps you control (buffer) pH. If you get into plant growing you might need phosphate, carbon dioxide & iron tests.

Glenn

If you get the Mini Master kit it includes ammonia, nitrite, low/high PH and KH&GH

The only other thing you really need is Nitrate which is seperate unfortunatley.

Like Glen said, the phosphate, iron etc is a tad specilist, however you will need NH4/NO2/NO3 to check your cycle as a minimum so IMO the combo I suggested is about the best value (I personally use it).

I have a friend into overkill who bought the hagen master test kit, he's still never opened a few of the bottles. tongue.gif

If you're just starting out then a complete master kit would be a worthwhile investment.

Later on, once you get into a routine with buffers and condtioners, combined with water changes etc you'll start learning exactly what the water parameters are and seldom use any of the kits.

One thing I love using is an ammonia alert sensor. God bless the person that introduced me to it. Less mess and by far a better investment than any other ammonia test kits in the long run IMO.

Cheers

Paul

One thing I love using is an ammonia alert sensor. God bless the person that introduced me to it. Less mess and by far a better investment than any other ammonia test kits in the long run IMO.

Cheers

Paul

I could not agree more. These little testers give you a constant reading of any free ammonia. So simple and easy and you get into tthe habit of checking it every time you walk past the tank. I find all the family keep an eye on it too. Definitely worthwhile and inexpensive for the heartache they save. Seachem Ammonia Alert. Get one!

Seachem makes ammonia alert. They are a small plastic rectangle with a circle on it with 4 colour swatches on it marked safe, alert, alarm and toxic on it. In the centre is a small disk that reacts to the ammonia and changes colour through the 4-colour swatch range. They also have a suction cup to stick it inside the tank.

The centre disk needs to be changed on a regular basis. I'm not sure how frequently but one of the sponsors help me out with that. thumb.gif

They are excellent! I have several now and will eventually have one in all of my tanks.

The sensors should be changed every 12 months, but IMO you are better off replacing the whole thing as i have found some of the replacement ones dont work as well.. Possibly due to the age of them when purchased.

Agreed. I also find that after 12 months the actual printed marking are wearing off - after having algae cleaned off them regularly.

Archived