Where is the best place to buy aquatic plants?

Kribbie

Hi guys,

Recently, I'm renovating my small tank (40L) and now is searching for some healthy and low price plants around sydney. However, there wasn't much choices though...does anyone know where is the best place to get plants from? I'm particular interested in geting some plants that doesn't really need strong light (some windelov would be the first choice...)~ I've been to Auburn Aquarium, but there windelov are really really expensive!

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

Heidi

Hi mate,

Atlantis Aquarium down in Lansvale is quite cheap, they can get any aquartic plant you want and are the cheapest in Western Sydney compared to many other aquariums in the area. They are located at the Corner of Longfield St and The Hume Hwy at Lansvale 2166.

Cheers

MangoR34

I wouldn't worry about the cost of Windelov (and I know they can go up to mid-$20). They propagate very easily, and from one plant, I now have 4 clusters in under a year. I find Microsorum family very prolific for me. Perhaps that's why the high cost; you'd only buy the plant once!

Hey MangoR34,

I've heard of this aquarium but has no idea where it located before ...hahaha~ anyway, thanks for the address~ I'll ask my boyfriend to drive me there tomorrow or during the week...thankyou for the address! :)

PHL,

Yea...Microsorum family is a really good choice for tanks that don't need much light, and these plants are one of my favourite! I've bought some java fern yesterday and hold it onto my driftwood along with some java moss as well~ Windelov is also an very attractive and hardy plant~ I made some search on the internet last night and found that Aquaria Australia Warehouse is now promoting Windelov and got some discount on this plant! Now is only $9.95 ($was $15.95)~ it's pretty cheap hey~ but I reckon there is a risk to get unhealthy plants through the internet though.....

Grizzlie,

Do you have the address of Manly Aqaurium World? Thanks! (^__^)

Cheers

Heidi

Yea...Microsorum family is a really good choice for tanks that don't need much light, and these plants are one of my favourite! I've bought some java fern yesterday and hold it onto my driftwood along with some java moss as well~ Windelov is also an very attractive and hardy plant~ I made some search on the internet last night and found that Aquaria Australia Warehouse is now promoting Windelov and got some discount on this plant! Now is only $9.95 ($was $15.95)~ it's pretty cheap hey~ but I reckon there is a risk to get unhealthy plants through the internet though.....

Do you have the address of Manly Aqaurium World? Thanks!

Bert (Aquaria Aust Warehouse) has decent specimens, and I did get a couple of Windelov from him for a display tank when I was setting it up (and couldn't wait for mine to grow out). I suspect some of the plants were incorrectly named (what was sold to me as an E. rubin is probably an E. x barthii). Good guy to deal with.

I have to say Frank at Manly Aquarium World is knowledgeable on Aponogetons and Crypts; apparently they can also get quite a few different plants, so ask them if you need something exotic. If driving from Sydney, just as you come to the lights at the bottom of the hill past the oval on the left, do a left, and they are on the left corner past the next set of lights (3 Pittwater Rd).

Today, I've asked my boyfriend to drive me to 5 aquariums around western Sydney, and it took us 5 hours to complete the journey!! Well, firstly, we went to Atlantis Aquarium but their plants are not very healthy and haven't got anything that I'm looking for....however, they've got a wide range of external filters and they were the only things that interested us...Afterwards, we went to 2 aquariums that located in Canley Vale and in one of that aquarium (Trans Aquarium, I think..), I've found a few number of albino Angles!!!! Wow...they are soooooo beautiful!!!! Does anyone seen it before?

Later on, we went to Lams Aquarium, although they've got Windelov in their tanks, but these plants seem that are attacked by brush algae and don't really look healthy at all~ so it's a bit disappointed about couldn't get a healthy plant home....However, I did found something excited in Strictly Aquarium in Yagoona and that was they've got a range of healthy Crypto spp that are selling at a price of 3 for $5!!!!!!! Yes, it's 3 plots for only $5!!!!!! Compared to Auburn Aquarium, it's like $12.95 EACH!!! What a rip off...

Anyway, that's what I'm up to now, and hope that my tank can be cleared (water) after a few days...I'll put up some pics soon after my tank is complete~ :rolleyes:

Hmm... have you ever tried St George Aquariums, which is around your area?

Yea...St George Aquarium is one of my favourite aquarium and I visit there often as well (since I live so close to there)~ but they don't have windelov for sell ATM....hmm...I think my tank should looks ok even without the presence of windelov since I've got quite a number of crypto and ferns in there already~ :rolleyes:

I reckon St George doesn't have that much plant varities, but Strictly Aquariums do though~ they often sell healthy plants and often got speical type of plants as well...the manager there told me that they will get new plants everyweek~ :lol:

So where do you get plants from normally? =)

I also find that Strictly Aquariums have good prices and good plants. The only thing is that u have to visit regularly to find what you want as the plant selection always changes, not that I mind :) My local Strictly Aq. receives their plants either on a Wednesday or Thursday, so I usually check on Thrusday afternoons after work.

I find that Auburn has a greater variety and can obtain more exotic varieties. I recently purchased the a Red Tiger Lotus in my planted tank and its taken about 3 weeks but now it is flourishing!!! Although it cost a lot i think it is worth it!!!

Kribbie I bought my Windelov from Lams a while back. It is very easy to grow! Just dont have the temp above 27. As i found out they started to die in my warm discus tank.

I agree - Strictly aquariums is the best for plants, the quality and price is the best in Sydney!

Last time I was at Strictly aquarium in Northmead they had Windeleov for $5 or around there, pretty cheap!

When I was there I picked up a red lilly (Nymphaea sp. Not lotus lilly) as well for only $8 :D

fozziwozzi,

I went to Lams aq. on last Monday and found that nearly 95% of their tanks are attacked by brush algae, the windelov that I want got so many algae on it and that's why I can't take this risk to get it, or else my tank will be attacked by these algae as well. I think I'll just wait for new plants to arrive in Strictly since I reckon they've got the best price for plants, and as guppy01 said that windelov cost only for $5, i'll go for a cheaper one. :) Although Auburn aq. got some exotic varities, I believe that I might kill them within a week and since their price is a :B: :wub: :blink: , so nah....

Cichlabxr,

Thanks ! But I reckon buying plants from companies via the internet is not very sercure, since they'll get your personal details and the most important point is that they've got your credit card details....so there is a risk that people might got some kind of methods to steal your personal details.

Guppy01,

Yea...that's what the manager of Strictly in Yagoona told me, I went to the one in Yagoona and bought three crypts just for $5!!! Everytime I go there is on either Friday or the weekends, since sometimes I go there on Thursday but they still haven't planted the plants yet...I also visit the one in Beverly Hills the most often (it's really really close to my place~), and they also do have the plants that Yagoona don't, so normally, I'll go to both of these stores on the same day~ (it's crazy, am I?) :lol: :lol:

So where do you get plants from normally? =)

Where ever I can. :blink

I have done mail order via Aquaria in WA, Strictly in Ryde (happens to be closest), Lams (my original Windelov), Hi Tek and Manly. I try to get my plants properly named, ie what type of crypt, not just a crypt (although most are wendtii), but few seem to be able to do that.

Hi,

Can someone :) Please :8 post a picture of Windelov or e-mail one to me? I have never seen it at the shops and would like to buy some going by what you have all said about it, hardy, easy to grow and all that.

Is anyone selling/sharing any? :&

thanks

Ed.

mycichlid AT holmail.com

PHL,

Are the plants from the warehouse good quality? I've just bought some crypts in Strictly @ Beverly Hills and it's the wendtii (xtra tall var.) and last time got something different from Strictly @ Yagoon, but I have no idea what's the ID of it though...Now my tank is almost done, I'll put up a pic of the tank in here early next week~ :^:

Ed,

Here's the pic of Windelov~

K_a.jpg

Hope this can help~ :huh:

Are the plants from the warehouse good quality? I've just bought some crypts in Strictly @ Beverly Hills and it's the wendtii (xtra tall var.) and last time got something different from Strictly @ Yagoon, but I have no idea what's the ID of it though...Now my tank is almost done, I'll put up a pic of the tank in here early next week~ :^:

They were of good quality; only problem is that they were not all they were suppose to be, eg what was suppose to be an E. rubin I suspect is an E. barthii, not sure if a N. zenkeri is actually one (it's definitely a Nymphea). But then that's not uncommon...

Archived