Small marine tank

fishinboots

Depends what you want to do. If you want fish only it is an easier thing to maintain than something with Corals in it (not recommended unless you are loaded). I think even a 2ft is pretty unstable and would go for something like a standard 4ft with a sump if possible as Protein skimmers look pretty ordinary hanging out of your display tank. On initial setup all Marine Tanks are expensive as you need things like Salt, Protein Skimmers, hydrometres, twin fluro units, specific test kits, more circulation of water per hour than fresh so big pumps or powerheads. The other thing that is a bit annoying is that you need to mix up salt water equal to the aquarium enviroment and you cant just dump water changed on the lawn. They are great at the end of the day but after having one for 12 months I was happy to go back to Cichlids.

Cheers Folkner

I recently had a two foot nano reef which was run on natural filtration (only live rock) and a power head for circulation and coral sand for a sand bed. i used a power compact fluro (from AOA) which are much better than your standard fluro's.

the key is to be patient and set up slowly and ad your fish and coral over time (not in one big hit). You will only be able to house about three fish in this size tank. i researched for months before setting up and this prevented any major problems. i suggest you do the same - a great place to start is nanoreef.com, it has some nice photos and great forums also RTAW (an Australian forum with plenty of info also.

good luck

Archived