"Tank requirements for Faoi :p"

Ant

G'day people, i'd love peoples oppinions on the following:

What would be the best suited tank for a colony of 2 Male Foai and 4 Females?

L H W

6 x 18 x 18 $325

5 x 20 x 20 $325

5 x 18 x 20 $290

These tanks are within my price range any bigger would put me in the red. I guess the questions are; Would i be better off with the extra width rather than length? Would i be better off with the extra height if i were to go with the 5ft?

One last question is would i be ok with a trio (or 4) of D.Comps in the same tank? I have seen D.Comps in action and ive found thet they tent to hang middle to top of the aquarium, with the taller tank can i get away with this?

Thankyou in advance smile.gif

Anthony thumb.gif

PS: Any other suggestions on tank size would be appreciated smile.gif

Umm two boys will need some space or there will be some disagreements so Id say the 6 footer, BUT,

their Nest will be 18inches wide at least, usually at one end,, so a wide tank is good

at leats 2 foot is much better, than 18, but if you have to comprimise then the 5x20x20, whish is also the best from your list for

The hight of the tank these guys fiill top to bottom of my 6x2x2 and are not full grown fish,

mine are currently 3@~15cm,and 4 @8cm in a 6x2x2, and use all the area.

I woule recoment nothing smaller than a 6x2x2 for 2 adult males and 4 females, see if you can get a 2nd handy from somewere to help with costs..

Hi Anthony,

With foai/furcifer don't be too worried about the numbers of females, it is the number of males that will determent the size of the tank required. With two adult males you will need a minimum of a 6 foot long and 2 foot wide tank. You can get away with 20 inches high if you like as they don't really tend to stick to the top of the tank unless there is food there.

The reason I say to get a 6x2 is because the male’s pits will normally be at least 2 foot round. Each male will build one so that’s 4 foot of the tank gone leaving 2 foot in the middle where the females will spend most of their time. This makes for an awesome looking tank. One coloured preforming male at each end of the tank, trying their hardest to entice a female into their pits. He who has the biggest bit wins I find.

Now as for the females, in a 6x2x2 I have run, 2m and 4f, 2m and 8f, 2m and 11f, 1m and 4f and 1m and 11f. All fish get along fine and do plenty of breeding. I think the most success I have had is with 2 males in the tank but I try to only have one, if I have the room, because they knock each others fins around when I have anything but one male in the tank.

So having said that I would be trying for a bigger tank if you can. The 5x20x20 is going to be the best you have listed but a 6x2x?? is going to be much better. By the way, what type of foai/furcifer are we talking about and how big are they?

The next think to look at is décor, filtration, diet and lighting but let’s get the tank size soughed out first.

Can I make a suggestion? Edit your original post so as the title is a little more specific so as you can attract a few more foai/furcifer experts. Some like “Tank requirements for my new Furcifer” will be much better.

Now as for D.Comps in the same tank. Sort answer no. Wait till you get the fish in a tank and established before making a decision to add anything. I really don’t think you will need it. If you want to add something, depending on the size of the tank you end up getting maybe some more females but not a large predatory Malawi in a feather fin tank.

HTH.

Thanks Ben,

The particular Foai im talking about is Foai *Sumbu*. I purchased 18 4ish cm fish from Andy.

The reason i want 2 males is colour and breeding purposes, some of the literature i have read states that in order for the males to reach full colour and to increase chances of breeding it is best to have 2 males. By the looks of it i will only be able to have the 1 male, how much will this affect breeding and colour? Id really like to get a 6 x 2 but it isn't possable. I might be able to go 6 x 20 if i budget correctly.

Another question i'd like to ask is how to pick and chose the fish i have to select the colony i desire? (i.e quality). This might sound like a stupid question but the reason i ask is that i dont just want to choose the first fish that colours up, as they are not neccesarily the best fish.

The filtration will be 2 Aqua Pro Canisters CF-1000 and CF-1200, the filters will not be cranked on full if i opt for a smaller tank. The lighting i have at the moment is a home made 4ft reflector with a single Powerglo tube (does a good job on the 5' x 14" i have at the moment).

Thanks

Anthony

4cm fish! well I would get the 5x20x20, that gives you about 6 months to save for a much bigger tank, 18 foai,damm, umm minimum 6x2x2, or 8x2x2!, lots of potentially big fish. I would think that it would be at least 9 months before they start to show breeding behavior, and more than a year befor you have fry..but I could be wrong , some fish are just way to horny!..

if you want some tank mates for them try some leptos, or other sand sifters, although featherfins tend to be easily distracted whn they are breeding and other fish in th etank can put them off a bit.

The particular Foai im talking about is Foai *Sumbu*. I purchased 18 4ish cm fish from Andy.

Well in that case you have a few months to save up and get a 6x2x? tank for them. laugh.gif Andy has kept his colony in a 6x2x20high tank and has had great success in breeding them.

The reason i want 2 males is colour and breeding purposes, some of the literature i have read states that in order for the males to reach full colour and to increase chances of breeding it is best to have 2 males. By the looks of it i will only be able to have the 1 male, how much will this affect breeding and colour? Id really like to get a 6 x 2 but it isn't possable. I might be able to go 6 x 20 if i budget correctly.

I think the requirement of having two males in the tank for the male to have max colour and increase chances of breeding is bull. Only when I am pushed for room do I have two males in one tank. They breed more often that I can count when there is only one male in the tank and their colour is exceptional. The same with the parents of the fish you have. Andy ran one male and a few females in two different tanks for quite some time and had plenty of fry and the colour of the males was just as good as when they were together. That’s just our findings of course. wink.gif

Another question i'd like to ask is how to pick and chose the fish i have to select the colony i desire? (i.e quality). This might sound like a stupid question but the reason i ask is that i dont just want to choose the first fish that colours up, as they are not neccesarily the best fish.

Your best bet will to grow them all up together. When a male colours up take a picture of him at his best and then put him in a holding tank. Do the same till you think you have got all the males out of the tank. Now this is going to take some time but will be worth it in the end. Once you have all the males out go through your pictures and find the best one and put him back in with the girls and make sure he is your favourite. Then find a friend with a display tank and get him to look after another male or two and sell the excess.

The filtration will be 2 Aqua Pro Canisters CF-1000 and CF-1200, the filters will not be cranked on full if i opt for a smaller tank. The lighting i have at the moment is a home made 4ft reflector with a single Powerglo tube (does a good job on the 5' x 14" i have at the moment).

I don't know those filters at all, just ensure the water is perfect. Over filtered is the way to go and rich with oxygen. As for lighting the rooms lighting will be enough. You will find they don't like the light on top of the tank and they will look better with light hitting them from different angles rather than the one on top of the tank.

Other than that, sit back and enjoy them. Feed them well and you will be well reworded.

Cheers

ok, looks like i have plenty of time. I wans't aware how fast (or slow) they grow, i presumed they were slow growers considering they are tangs. I still won't be able to have anything bigger than 6 x 20 x 20 (considering i live with my parents and i don't pay the power bill). When i finish my degree and move out with my girlfrined ill obviously be able to get another big tank (depending on permission from the girlfriend... laugh.gif ). I'm hopeing i don't lose patients with them, ill just keep looking at pics of andys adult male and hopefully that will keep me interested laugh.gif. Thanks for the great info, ill keep you posted how i go and i'm sure ill have more questions in the future smile.gif.

Anthony thumb.gif

defiately getting 6ft. I can get a 6ft x 18t x 20w with a 2nd hand 10mm base for about $300. $335 for new 10mm base. I'd really prefure 2 males do you think id get away with it?

Anthony cool.gif

As long as it’s a 6 foot long tank you will be fine with two males. As for hiding places, they don't need it and you are better of without them. Rocks etc will only do them damage when they are swimming at 100+km an hour up and down the tank....Just give them lots of sand and that’s it.

user posted image

The top left tank is my foai tank. No rocks just a 6x2x2 with water, 40kg of coral sand and 2 males and 8 females. The top right tank is currently full of fry. 300 plus all growing up. Size ranging from 2 to 5cm.

HTH

wow, thats pretty cool thumb.gif, thanks for all your help Ben and Trofius. As a begginer to featherfins i really do appreciate it thumb.gif, oh and thanks to Andy for the fish. In the past i've kept a species for 4 months then moved on to another species (as you all well know...lol), the main reason being that i only have 2 decent tanks and can only keep limited species, so rather than buy a new tank and get more species, i have to settle with selling the species i have and getting a new one. I don't think it will be hard to maintain intrest with these guys as they have an appeal different to other cichlids.

Anthony cool.gif

Just quick question

You mention earlier about the M/f ratios that you want to get, is it even possible to tell them apart at 4cm, my smaller ones are only showing a distinct variation after they are 6cm, Or is tat the idea of getting so many, weed out the excess males and sell em off!

Nice tanks Ben, last time I saw pics there was only one rack, of 6 footers, lol, I thought you were cutting back?

Anyways I have a few rocks in my tank, a huge rock at one end, and some samller ones , and another big rock in the middle of a 6x2x2. the male has a nest at the other end away from the filter outlet/current. I have 2 M and 1Fthat are big enought to be sexually active, I find that the subdominat male has ahalf assed nest between the two big rocks. As I only have one female she enjoys being able to hid under the bigger rocks, or behind other rocks when she is holding to avoid harrasment. will hopefully change when I get the other girls up to breeding size.

Enjoy these awsome gentle giants..

ooo, ooo, purchased the 6 x 20 x 20 (just havnt told my parents yet). In terms of females i will probably keep all the females i have what ever number there may be. I hear the male female ratio from fry can be a little unpredictable.

Anthony rolleyes.gif

Archived