Not breeding yet?

guppy01

Hi Everyone,

I have had a couple of bristlenoses for almost 12 months now which I bought whent they were tiny. I'm able to see that I have one male and one female. The male is noticably bigger than the female and has quite a few bristles now...

The question is.. When will they start breeding?

They still look pretty small to me, especially the female. I guestimate they are around 5-7cm not incliding tails. When will they breed???

:rolleyes:

Hi

Your bristlies are most probably close to mating. The female will get a nice round fat belly, full of eggs when she is ready.

They need a cave of sorts, the darker the better, with an opening large enough to allow the male and female to get through but also small enough for the male to feel comfortable defending.

He will look after the eggs and fry perfectly - the paternal instincts in the species is amazing to watch. The males can look after the eggs of several females at a time so more than one female in the tank is not an issue. They can however get quite nasty when spawning.

Triggers are frequent water changes - so the temp drops slightly- wood for lowering the PH as well as chewing on - fresh vege & protein (easy on this) matter to eat, to build up condition.

It is important to note that the fry need to stay with dad for a while to build up gut bacteria - otherwise you will lose them.

Hope this helps :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Archived