"Dirty" Ps. saulosi females

Vicious Camel

Hi all,

A few of my Ps. saulosi females have been slowly taking on a dirty appearance over the last few months. All fish are looking great and are as happy as larry in the tank, just some of the females appear to have small black specs scattered over their body. it looks as though somebody has got a paintbrush, dipped it in black paint, and flicked it at them... (sorry, no pics)

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

VC

I had this problem with my mbuna a while back too, it can be quite frustrating! From memory it is caused by a parasite brought in from an unclean aquatic environment, such as a pond. I myself traced my infections back to the fact I made the mistake of using the same net in my pond as in my tank. From what I can recall a broad spectrum anti-bacterial should do the trick. I could be completely wrong though, Ive been out of the hobby a while so if anyone else out there has any more of an idea than me then feel free to help this chap out thumb.gif

iv have the same problem too but i dont feed them any type of flake at all they get feed new life spectrium pellets cause there in with my fronts atm so i dont think that is the spirulina but i do wish i knew what it was cause im sick of seeing them like that also, maybe some of the real cichlid experts that have been in the hobby longer mite know clap.gif

just my opinion but i dont think its the spirulina or the high protien as their diet in the wild is mainly spirulina which is very high in protien, about 56-62%. i feed mine hbh soft & moist which has a protien value of 45% and dont have any problems. greyish bloches do occour on my females, which change in relation to the aggression between the 3 females, so in this case not related to diet. protiens from meat are a lot harder to digest for a herbivore causing intestinal problems including paracites so the problem may be caused by to much meaty foods instead. possibly poor water quality also.

mick

Guys, I seem to recall reading in Ad Konings 3rd edition Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat that it is not uncommon in the lake for dominant mbuna females to hold territories and show paler versions of male colouration. I have a large breeding colony of Saulosi myself and the colour, markings & colour intensity of various females often changes on a fairly constant diet.

Cheers, Doug

doug, my colony of saulosi is quite big too (all up around 15 fish) and i have also observed what you have described. Sometimes, the larger more dominant females will show a little male colouration, however, that's not what i am referring too in this instance. It appears just as fiona described: like you've taken a toothbrush, dipped it in paint and flicked it at them! very strange

cheers

VC

Archived