What Species of Ancistrus exist in OZ

Satanoperca

Hi,

Looking at setting up another South American biotype tank.

What BN exists in this country? At this stage I am not requesting what is available, just what might be already here.

Already aware of :

Standard Bristle Nose

Peppermint BN

Orange Spot BN

Long Finned BN

Brown peppermint ?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Benjamin

PS. there was a thread containing a list of BN somewhere but cannot seem to locate it.

I can give you a list of Ancistrus I have seen in oz, seen with my own eyes that is...there are a few others I've heard about but can't be sure, here tis:

Ancistrus sp. "Common bristlenose"

The Australian common is possibly Ancistrus triradiatus, or maybe even the real Ancistrus temminckii, but after so many years of being bred in captivity its impossible to tell. There does appear to be at least two separate species, that will not interbreed, that make up the commons dry.gifhuh.gif

This fish is also available in other forms (it is not known if these were bred from common bristlenose, but it is assumed to be them rolleyes.gif ): Albino, lecoustic (albino w/black eyes), longfinned and Banjo. Do not buy the banjos, they are deformed and we wouldn't want the deformity to become the dominant gene.

Ancistrus dolichopterus Peppermint bristlenose.

Ancistrus sp. "Orange-spot bristlenose".

Ancistrus claro Gold marble bristlenose.

Ancistrus ranunculus Medusa bristlenose.

Thats all I've ever seen here thumb.gif Some of these may be difficult to get a hold of. Common bristlenose are readily available, and are a great fish.

Oh my goodness!! don't tell me "Banjo" bristle nose are showing up again..

"Banjo" bristle nose are just a genetic deformaty of the common bristle and oringinated in Victoria we think... At leat that is where most of them were comming from.

There was a huge outcry from the catfish world when they first appeared and I thought that they had disappeared as I haven't seen them around for a couple of years.

On the other hand, the is a real Banjo catfish, Bonocephalus coracoideus, from Peru. One of the few catfish I never ever got to breed for me. Spend most of their time burried in the sand and only come out when a worm is dangled in front of their nose.

Alan

I'll draw your attention to this (taken from my first post):

Banjo. Do not buy the banjos, they are deformed and we wouldn't want the deformity to become the dominant gene.

As a side note, I saw some banjos the other day ohmy.gifsadsmiley02.gif I live in Victoria, guess where I saw them... wink.gif

Good to hear there still may be some Bunocephalus coracoideus around. My years of searching will not be in vain woot.gif

Archived