Fish hiding when anyone approaches

Priscacara

Hi , over the past week all my African cichlids have taken to hiding in amonsgt the rock whenever I approac the tank or walk past it. They have never done this previously always being inquisitive. Parameters havent changed in the tank except for a decrease in ph down to 8. In the mornings they all come out for a feed but after that they hide. I'm not having much luck lately with tanks losing almost all my non cichlids in a community tank, not that I think the same is happening with the cichlids.

About 10 days ago I had 3 of the males in spawning condition and even 1 P. saulosi holding and now all the fish are scared, got me stumped so any thoughts welcome.

The expert (yep he actually is) at the lfs seems to think it may just be I'm going closer to the tank in passing or more activity near the tank from me. If I look at the fish from a distance they do seem to be acting normally but panic when I go near.

Parameters are ph 8, 0 nitrite, minute reading of ammonia, temp 26C, gh 390. Water changes are weekly although I did an extra change last week when I noticed something not right in the behaviour.

Dont think its to do with water :clap

Try moving slowly to tank

If they hide

Then feed them a little surface food

Slowly move to front to veiw

Any fish will hide if people approch tank in a fast manner

Just normal

Do you wait for 10mins for the fish to return to swimming about? :hug:

Hope helps

Tx for the reply, I might have been going to fast lately. They were almost back to normal this evening, food definately brings them out. Noticed a few of the smaller fish bouncing or rubbing off the rocks but I really just think I'm being paranoid with the other tank dramas I had.

Yep after about 10 mins they are back to just chasing each other a bit as per normal.

It just seems normal to me

New fish and owner a bit over keen to view

like you say slow down mate,, :thumb lol

Dont mean to alarm you but,,

I would be keeping an eye on them if they are rubbing themselves on the rocks or stones

This can mean they have a disease or parasite

Keep a lookout and give them some meds if they are doing that.

The tankmates have been established with no problems at all for 4 months roughly the hiding only started 10 days or so ago and is getting worse.

I've done all my own water tests as well as having 3 seperate lfs do them for me all with the same results, conditions of the water are good.

I've now turned off the tank lights to see if that helps but my routine, movements and lighting of the tank hasnt altered at all so not hopefull this will help but can only try. Out of options after this as I'm moving as slow as possible and as far away as possible from the tank.

Lol part of the reason to start with fish again was on docs recomendation for stress relief. My bp has skyrocketed from stressing about the unrelated problems in the 2 tanks, starting to have sleep dep as I go over what I may have done wrong or differently. Ahh gotta love fish keeping :-) . I might like them too much hence the worry.

i have 2 3fts with quite a few africans in them,with one tank they all fly behind the rocks in a second,looks like an empty tank.if i stand in front they take ages to come out but if i sit on a chair im lower to them and they all come out and are not worried about me.the other tank the africans dont hide much.positioning of the tank i think has a lot to do with it.and sometimes when spawning activity is going on in there,the fish can be edgy and swim quicker if theres lots of chasing going on.

Tx for the replies. can never get too much info , advice and comments.

It could be 1 of the fish spooking and causing a flow on affect, the 2 Monkey Bay's I have have always been timid and I've noticed they lead the charge to flee followed by the female hongi and the rest soon after.

Lots of possibilities, sorry to hear you have a similar tank Klw. I got myself a new bean bag to sit in front of the tank for viewing, kept about 2 metres away. The fish will come out again but just lifting a hand sets them off again, it will get better eventually and I can go back to viewing.......hmm wonder if my snoring when I doze off got to them :-) (joking, I dont snore).

Most fish will hide when someone comes to the tank

But as yours are out then take off its not the lights

So can only be the fish getting a fright :confused:

In time they will settle in and get used to their owner,owners

As said just try making your feeding time the same as your viewing

They will settle in to your habits

More viewing = lower B_P, hang in there, mate :thumbup:

Heaps of replies I know, but still...

My fish are doing the same thing also, anytime someone approaches they shoot off.

But like a previous poster said, try putting a chair in front of the tank and just watch them for a while.

After a few mins they all pop out again, and I also find it amusing watching them slowly peeking around the corners of the rocks and stuff. very funny.

My Dad talked to someone he used to work with a while back that kept fish and he had a very similar problem. His was triggered by someone taking photos of the fish using a flash................I'd forgotten that I had started taking some pics not long before my problem started and the first couple used the flash by mistake. Its possible that this was the trigger for whats been going on in mine, he said it took a long time for them to get back to normal but they eventually did.

The lights out approach didnt seem to work so back to having them on, least when they do sneak back out I can see them :-)

Archived