L. speciousis fed NLS

Richard

Here's a picture for all you to contrast over the change which NLS has on the colouration of your fish. This female is on NLS Cichlid Formula. The period between taking the picture was roughly 1 month.

Before

IPB Image

After

IPB Image

Richard

holy crap!

Is anything else different? Tankmates? is that breeding dress & it's just concidence?

I'm a big NLS fanboy but that is just spectacular!

It's worth commenting on the comparison per se. It wasnt made at the same time on a group of fish fed NLS and a group maintained under identical conditions but fed something else. I've said before I'm not qualified to comment re: the effects of NLS. In this case, however, the exact cause (which could be any of the points below) of the colour change is unclear or may be a combination of factors. Without an accurate experiment, you simply cant tell.

* Food (ie: NLS or something else)

* Stress "Mood" / Breeding colours

* Water conditions

* Photography conditions

I think the first photo that you say is before NLS is just the fish a bit stressed. The second photo you say is after NSL looks like a happy fish in breeding colour.

I have seen plenty of speciosus that have not been feed on NLS and show better colour than the one you say is showing the colour because of the food.

I think you need to wait a bit longer Richard before you can make a judgment if ever. :)

Hi Richard, thanks for posting the results. It clearly shows that you are happy with your purchase, in this case NLS. Some times it is hard for some people to believe that this product actually works, and most of the time those people do not feed NLS exclusively. What's too good to be true, really is.

Cheers,

Waruna :)

Hi Richard, thanks for posting the results. It clearly shows that you are happy with your purchase, in this case NLS. Some times it is hard for some people to believe that this product actually works, and most of the time those people do not feed NLS exclusively. What's too good to be true, really is.

I don't mean to to fire up a food debate but, IMHO only my black occies look colourful as Richard's (when excited) and they have never eaten NLS. I believe that they may even be from the same source possibly the same batch of fry. :dntknw:

In saying that, I have started introducing NLS as part of my feeding regime (1-2 times a week) to my Malawi's and but it has yet reached the all of my Tangs (Black occies included). NLS may be the the best thing since sliced bread but you can still achieve results with good stock, good quality water conditions and good quality food. My occies are getting fed BBS, OSI Spirulina and cichlid flake. Once I am convinced that NLS is as good as everyone says there is a good chance that I will start feeding it to everything. (Probably more likely than not as I have seen good results in my Malawi's :thumb ).

Either way they are great little fish and good shots and I am also interested in other peoples results in food choice.

cheers

rosco

I don't mean to to fire up a food debate but, IMHO only my black occies look colourful as Richard's (when excited) and they have never eaten NLS. I believe that they may even be from the same source possibly the same batch of fry. :dntknw:

In saying that, I have started introducing NLS as part of my feeding regime (1-2 times a week) to my Malawi's and but it has yet reached the all of my Tangs (Black occies included). NLS may be the the best thing since sliced bread but you can still achieve results with good stock, good quality water conditions and good quality food. My occies are getting fed BBS, OSI Spirulina and cichlid flake. Once I am convinced that NLS is as good as everyone says there is a good chance that I will start feeding it to everything. (Probably more likely than not as I have seen good results in my Malawi's :thumb ).

Either way they are great little fish and good shots and I am also interested in other peoples results in food choice.

cheers

rosco

Hi Rosco, if you feed 20% NLS, you will get 20% results. You need to feed NLS exclusively to see the best results.

Cheers,

Waruna

Hi Rosco, if you feed 20% NLS, you will get 20% results. You need to feed NLS exclusively to see the best results.

Not to add fuel to the fire :lol3: but, eventually I think I may move to at least 75%. I still like giving them treats like bbs and spirulina and vegges (for Bn's but we all know who eats it ;) ). I certainly don't has anything against NLS in fact I am trying it becuase I have heard good things about it ;) . Like all fish hobbist's I really what to try and give the fish the best I can for a price (given my children apparently get hungry too :lol4: ). I am slowly moving over NLS as a staple because mainly because I believe that it is best way to get fish used to new food and I think my current regime is not good enough. It may be my conservative nature but I have put a lot of effort in getting good stock and weeding out bad fish not to.

cheers

rosco

Hi Richard, I'm a big fan of this food too, and when I get some fish again I will feed NLS exclusively no doubt in my mind.

However, a few questions:

1. How old is the fish in each photo? (obviously 1 month older in the second but you know what I mean)

2. How long had she been in current tank in each pic?

3. Was anything changed besides the feed? ie. tankmates/ number of occies

4. Is that the same rock in the background? If it is, it detracts from the miraculous colour and condition transformation by being totally different colours in the pics. I suspect image 1 is over-exposed, or the lighting was significatly different. Either than or NLS improved the colour of your stones as well!! (And the sand)

I think these are the questions people are raising. And coming from a huge advocate of NLS I can absolutely see why the questions were asked.

If it is 100% just the food then I suspect all the answers to the questions would have been easy to answer, and answered already.

1. How old is the fish in each photo? (obviously 1 month older in the second but you know what I mean)

Not sure on the exact age of the fish, would say its about a year old.

2. How long had she been in current tank in each pic?

The first picture she was in the tank for roughly a month or so, second picture one month or so later.

3. Was anything changed besides the feed? ie. tankmates/ number of occies

nothing at all was changed.

4. Is that the same rock in the background? If it is, it detracts from the miraculous colour and condition transformation by being totally different colours in the pics. I suspect image 1 is over-exposed, or the lighting was significatly different. Either than or NLS improved the colour of your stones as well!! (And the sand)

It is the same rock in the picture, the shell got moved to the right end of the rock, previously it was near the middle.

I think these are the questions people are raising. And coming from a huge advocate of NLS I can absolutely see why the questions were asked.

If it is 100% just the food then I suspect all the answers to the questions would have been easy to answer, and answered already.

Pretty much the only thing i can think of is she either became more comfortable with her surroundings after that month, or she just got abit horny and has stayed horny until now :blink hence the colouration?

Attached is a picture of her now in a very stressed state, and still the colour is alot better than the first picture where she may have been "un-settled"

IPB Image

hope that clears up some questions.

Another picture of the female prior to NLS

IPB Image

Picture of male now included. Before and after.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry about the OT post, but I'd like to enquire about the product in your signature.

Are they fresh when canned & what constitutes a bulk order? If I'm not happy with the quality, will you "follow through" with a replacement?

:lol3:

Sorry about the OT post, but I'd like to enquire about the product in your signature.

Are they fresh when canned & what constitutes a bulk order? If I'm not happy with the quality, will you "follow through" with a replacement?

:lol3:

:lol3: I have PM'd you further details as i did not want to stink up this thread with sales.

I use NLS exclusively and the coloration of my meleagris, black occies, gold occies, gold comps and my fronnies are phenominal. :thumbup: I used to feed NLS only twice a week (twice a day) because it was soo expensive. But now, all of my fish are fed exclusively on NLS.

With regards to the coloration of the fish, YES fish definitely color up more as part of spawning behaviour, light will also affect their coloration, angle of capture and also whether a recent water change was done! SO it is hard to say but I truly believe that NLS contributed the improvement of your fish.

I will post some pics of my meleagris very soon. (my home comp needs to be rebuilt). You can see for yourself!! :)

We all know how easy it has become to alter photos, well for some people at least ;)

Just in case if any of you missed it;

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?show...=21436&st=0

I find it hard to believe that it is so difficult or very hard to see improvements in colour when fish are fed with NLS. I have noticed it and I know of a lot of people who have as well.

I thought I’ll add a few comments here from some of the top names in trade:

In working with Lake Victorian cichlids, I have found that only the best foods will bring out the colors in fish. In the past, I have feed frozen bloodworms, high-quality flake food and have had very good results.

The red on the unpaired fins of some Victorian males is sometimes difficult to get to come out. Often they look dull red to an orange brown color in the stores.

After feeding your food to my fish for three days, I noticed a dramatic improvement. The dull red fins of the males were now a bright tomato-red color. My existing colonies showed brighter colors too.

Submitted By : Charles Rambo - President, American Cichlid Association

I really like [New Life International's] new food. I like the sinking pellets the best. The first thing I noticed was the reds and yellows really becoming more intense on all my fish. My L. lelupi [sic] turned from a light yellow to a deep orange. They be bad!

The food intensified the colors in Victorian Cichlids like no other food I have ever used. It is readily accepted by all my fish, from guppies to frontosas.

I even have a group of native pygmy sunfish (Enneacanthius gloriosus, The Blue Spotted Sunfish) that I have had for a year, that would only eat live food, eagerly take it! This stuff has to taste great!

I encourage anyone who shows fish to try this food. All my show fish are now fed this twice a day. I expect some Blue ribbons this year at the ACA convention!

-- Ken Davis

Advanced Hobbyist and Breeder of Rare Fish,

Chairman of the Board of Trustees

of the American Cichlid Association,

President of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association,

Member of the American Live Bearer Association

New Life Spectrum is the most significant change in the fish food industry. I have tried everything and in all my years, I have never seen anything have so much dramatic impact on my fish's colors, health and appetite. [spectrum] is great for the hobby and more than lives up to is guarantee.

--Bob Matthews (Greater Chicago Cichlid Association)

President of GCCA and Hobbyist.

Why is it so hard to believe this food actually works?

I must have missed the part where anyone said the food doesn't/hasn't work/ed.

I also must have missed the part when ACE stopped being a discussion forum for people to share information and ask questions. :dntknw:

I also must have missed the part when ACE stopped being a discussion forum for people to share information and ask questions. :dntknw:

How can any one say the food doesn't work? The whole point of this thread I believe was to discuss and show the members here that NLS actually improves colour and vitality.

I think the first photo that you say is before NLS is just the fish a bit stressed. The second photo you say is after NSL looks like a happy fish in breeding colour.

Gents -

As in the other thread in Technical ;) => Let's play nice. As I suggested in the other thread interested (or skeptical) parties should go out buy some NLS (I'm sure Waruna can PM them some details) and TRY it. This thread needs to be constructive if it's going to stay ;).

Dave I used NLS exclusively well before waruna became the Australian distributor.

I love the product. I recommend it to everyone who asks me what food they should be using.

I think waruna's posts are poorly disguised random plugs in irrelevant situations.

People simply asked for clarification of other factors which may have contributed to the colour difference. Or they made other comments like "the fish looks no better than my female in breeding dress" and somehow the need is felt to defend his dollars and plug his product again.

Like I said, what part of the thread prompted comments like "Why is it so hard to believe this food actually works?" and "How can any one say the food doesn't work?"

If we can't have BALANCED discussion about products without people with a vested interest trying to strangle it into a product love fest, maybe we should ban discussion of specific products altogether.

Could it be that the NLS helped bring this female into breeding condition faster than the previous food? No way to prove it one way or the other but it is a potential explanation.

I definitely agree with the Duck on this.

However it shouldn't detract from the fact that it is a nicely coloured and healthy fish, Richard. Great stuff! Whether it is from the NLS or otherwise.

Archived