Sciaenochromis

Ant

Are there any pure species of Sciaenochromis fryeri/Jacksoni/Ahli around? I was thinking that someone may have some German imports that are coloser to the real deal than ours here.

Anthony thumb.gif

I'm sure there are still good strains of fryeri around. I'd be talking to people who have had the same bloodline for many years.

It still has not been proven that the fryeri we have here are tainted by ahli / psammophilus (unless someone knows of a genetic test that's been done on local specimens). People seem to assume it since they all look so similar. (they may be right but they may be wrong as well).

Unfortunately for our EB's it looks like they came in from people who didn't know about the different species that we know of today.

So unless you can perform a test to 100% determine the species and possible crosses you are dealing with, I'd simply be looking for the best quality ones you can find colour and shape wise if you still want to keep them.

Hey guys

from what i've heard, it appears we probably have a fish which is a cross between ahli and fryeri, which, as Andy stated, is due to the lack of knowledge of early importers and breeders. I dont think we are in a position to fix the problem anytime soon as i dont think scienochromis are on our allowable import list, and any odd illigal imports that come in would eventually get mixed in with what we already have.

We could of course do what the germans do and rename what we've created in our tanks, how does Scienochromis sp. "aussie blue" sound cool.gif

Bob

Hi Anthony,

I personally know someone here in Perth with S. ahli and S. fryeri colonies (has kept them going for the past 20 odd years, so yes they are fair dinkum). When he sells to the LFS's, they don't give a hoot whether they are ahli or fryeri and label them as either (often wrongly) or simply as "electric blues" dry.gif . Unfortunately the ignorance of some LFS's continues to add to the problem mad.gif I haven't seen S. jacksoni around for many years.

merjo smile.gif

Archived