Polishing out scratches

inspector rex

Is it possible to polish scratches out of aquarium glass? This would probably invovle totally emptiing the tank, but the scratches dont seem too deep. I think i caused them using a magnetic glass cleaner, and i must have ferrous matterial in my substrate because some small stones, stuck to my magnet and scratched the glass. Anyway, i would like to know if it is possible, so if i ever totally empty my tank, i can polish the scratches then

....................... but the long answer is yes. It is possible with the correct cutting compound and a special felt mop. Fact is it not worth the trouble or the expense.

Craig.

When i moved my 8x2x2 tank from brissy to Rocky, ~ 700km there was a aluminium light insid eall packed nicely... well th epacking moved afetr several hours and the result was a heap of very fine scratches on the inside glass..ie you could hardley feel em but could very easily see em.

Anyways I removed these by rubbing them for about 15mins each with gumpton, that pink cleaner pastey stuff, and now there is hardly a mark left, you pretty much have to be right up against the tank to see whats left.

there is no buffing marks just polished out very well , was quite happy with the results.

I thought it would be some trouble, but still i was wondering wether it was possible. I was thinking about using an angle-grinder with a buffing wheel and some compound to pollish the marks out. Im only 14 so i think it would be fairly difficult, but my uncle is fairly talented, and would probably help. Any way, ill try the gumpton if i ever empty my tank

Do any of theese buffing compounds and polishes have chemicals that would have a negetive impact on fish, i know they would, but would i be able to clean the tank enough after i used the polishes etc? Also how should i clean the tank? should i use plain water?

Yes you can get Glass Cutting Compund or Polish for remooving scratches. 3M do heaps of stuff!

Cost might be a big factor!

Try Automotive wholsalers like Paint Shops or Auto Body Repais Shops... these guys will have something for you.

You could also use AutoSol - a chrome polish - as this also buffs out scratches in chrome.

Do any of theese buffing compounds and polishes have chemicals that would have a negetive impact on fish, i know they would, but would i be able to clean the tank enough after i used the polishes etc? Also how should i clean the tank? should i use plain water?

If you are worried about contanimating the tank... mask off the rest of the tank with some plastic and masking tape that way no cutting compund is going to leach into the silicone joins.

Glass is easy to clean - use Metholated Spirits ONLY on the area you polished, then use warm water and a razor blade... you can then remove the plastic and masking tape you used to seal the rest of the tank from you cutting compound mess. Finish off with a nice water wash.

Archived