Green Terror with round swollen anal area

curviceps

G'day

My Green Terror has suddenly developed a 1cm round bulge around its anal area. It is still active and I saw it do a thin red poop. Other than that, there is nothing else protruding out of its anus. See picture below.

Its tummy also looks bloated/stiff.

Is it likely to be anything more than constipation and is there more I should do other than put in some Epsom salt (I tried peas, which were ignored).

IPB Image

Cheers

Tim

I could always be wrong, but it looks like a heavy endoparasite burden to me, which is subsequently causing rectal prolapse. I would treat with Praziquantel or Levamisole.

Correct me if you disagree: @ Noddy65...lol

Andrew.

I could always be wrong, but it looks like a heavy endoparasite burden to me, which is subsequently causing rectal prolapse. I would treat with Praziquantel or Levamisole.

Correct me if you disagree: @ Noddy65...lol

Andrew.

+1

Thanks aquaholic.

Tim,

My honest advice is to have that fish seen to by a veterinarian. The drugs can usually only be prescribed by them - and even when you can obtain them without a script, you need the consultation to get correct dosage/treatment regime. Remember that internet advice can often be inaccurate/misleading, so best not to "wing it" when the condition is advanced (like it appears to be in the pic).

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

This might sound crude but I wiould euthanaise it.

Just put it out of its misery.

+ 1

I know a lot of people form bonds with their fish and this might seem harsh, but if the treatment is going to cost a significant amount of your money, and just cause the fish further distress (and possibly not actually cure anything) I would put it down quickly now rather than see it struggle/suffer for a bit longer only to die slowly.

Of course it's up to you if you feel the cost of a vet consult + the cost of a prescription is worth it for you and your fish.

Seems to be recovering now in a hospital tank... now my next worry is, assuming it fully recovers, how should I re-introduce it back to its orginal tank. It's a 6x2x2 with an Oscar, a Jack Dempsey and a Texas Cichlid. The Oscar is the largest of them all (20 cm) and the JD and Texas are "sub-adults". Previously, the GT and the Oscar more or less left each other alone with occasional flaring, while the GT were dominant over the other two.

Will I be able to just drop the GT in there and let them sort out the hierarchy again themselves or should I really do more prep work? The centre piece of my tank is a 4 foot log, and it is quite impossible to rearrange it in any meaningful fashion.

cheers

Tim

Good on you for not putting it in the "too hard basket" mate! There are a lot of things that once meant a death sentence, but can be resolved with the resources we have available these days.

Before you re-introduce the GT, do a partial water change and re-arrange the rockwork so that everybody loses their territories. The centrepiece, if possible, should be moved - even a slight angle will make a difference. Mind you - it's a great sized tank and not many fish, so you shouldn't have too many probs anyway.

Let us know how you go!!

I absolutely agree and should have said so earlier - thanks for adding it.

I understand what citypainter and ducksta were saying - and I respect them both highly. I just tend to never give up until it is obviously too late. In the limited cases where I have involved a vet's opinion, the relatively small amount of fees incurred have left me equipped to tackle the situation/s again if ever the need arises.

I recently had fish TB rip through my display tank - I don't know why, as the maintenance and filtration are top rate (I expect it was introduced with a new fish). I lost a few fish, but managed to pull most of them entirely out of it. Fish that were almost dead before the treatment took effect are now breeding their heads off. That's why I suggested that course of action.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Back in the tank.

What has been revealing is that these Americans seem to have very good memory after all. No fights and back to the previous pecking order. I had rearranged the rocks, but nevertheless, I had expected at least some fireworks, but none at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Archived