Toga

JonFishin

Hi

Just wondering what people have kept successfully with Toga's, not looking at mixing with Americans, just want to keep it a native tank. Looking at everything from other predators to dithers. Tank is 6x2x2.

Thanks

Jon

Hmm ive kept plecos.

Mono args

Archers

africans (yellows and the like)

americans (red devil, convicts, sevrums)

clown loaches

featherfin catfish

giant gouramis

Yep! Quiet a cocktail! They were all in :wub

Yeah sorry, as in Saratoga.

I'm looking at possibly scats and rainbows, hopefully they're quick enough. I think bara might be too big for my tank, maybe some sort of perch would be an option too?

Going by your post DC looks like I could try anything! :lol2: I guess it's the old give it ago and keep an eye out trick.

Thanks for your help guys

Jon

I wouldn't recommend you keep it with africans or loaches unless your plan is for the toga to eat them :blink

Although I've never kept a saratoga, I'd say the best way to keep peace between tankmates is to keep fish which inhabit different levels of the aquarium to the toga, so how about some nice bottom dwellers, such as Ophiocara porocephala or a bichir of some sort. I don't think bichirs are Australian natives but they look enough like it ;) I've also seen them kept successfully with barramundi.

Scats could work, I'd be a bit cautious with the rainbows though, they seem to be small enough to fit anywhere lately :roll

That's not to say you shouldn't be careful. As much of a puppy dog my fronty is I still keep an eye out for my cyps so the fronty doesn't go chew on them. I've seen togas take bites out of fish that were easily 15cm in length, whereas yours probably wouldn't hurt a fly. There are exceptions. I guess the main thing is you gotta be careful :dntknw:

Hmm you better watch out for your cyps then.. Before you know it, your fronny will have a little snack!

What IF you see him take one? By the time you get your hand in the tank, hes goooonnneee!

Sorry to hijack the thread! Im done now :yes:

I've seen a 40cm sara @ a LFS eat silver perchs (@6-7cm), bash another sara @ 25cm. Bash a black shark @ 40cm and nearly kill a archer......

I seriously would be careful adding anything other then something extremely aggressive. Then again I know of a sara that was nearly killed by a feeder goldfish!!!!! :lol3:

Archived