4ft tank monster/ buster/predator

antz

hey people.

i have a standard 4ft tank with abit more height.

would like a predator style fish for it.. that would eat mostly anything.. and interesting to watch etc.. mean looking, not to fussy to take care of and good colours if possible.. im open to different looks, character etc

i would like to grow up the fish, rather than get it big unless its cheap at large size (not usually the case) becuz i plan to keep the fish for a long long time.

one or few depends on the fish i guess.. but if one fish i would like it to grow a decent monster size.

some i know.. arowana, staro'gi (forget the spelling but i know the fish.. similar to arowana), oscars.. and a few others that i dont know the name/spelling.

since i dont know many fish as yet would like to know wat people have, like to have or know of??

pics or links would be great too.. info also on wat food they would eat is good. since i dont want this to cost me an arm and a leg.

thanks

antz

but if one fish i would like it to grow a decent monster size.

= :no:

You need a tank far bigger then that.

Your tank is a good size for a colony of African cichlids. Definantly not for moster fish.

arowana, staro'gi (forget the spelling but i know the fish.. similar to arowana), oscars

The fish is a saratoga.

If you get a 6x2x2 you could consider birchers?

but if one fish i would like it to grow a decent monster size.

= :no:

You need a tank far bigger then that.

Your tank is a good size for a colony of African cichlids. Definantly not for moster fish.

arowana, staro'gi (forget the spelling but i know the fish.. similar to arowana), oscars

The fish is a saratoga.

If you get a 6x2x2 you could consider birchers?

the whole point of this thread is for me to find a fish that would fit in a 4ft tank.. that both good for fish and myself.

the fact that i mentioned some fish is to give example of some i like but wouldnt get for varies reasons or since they wouldnt fit in my tank

if your not going to help, and point things out that do nothing but waste space, trying to correct every sentence then just dont reply..

-----

hey bruce, thanks.. ill have a look, though i dont think that my type of fish by the sounds of it. thanks for the suggestion.

-----

btw. even a type of predator cichlid is fine.. :thumb just wanna better idea whats out there.

Have you had a look through the tankbuster section for pics or previous posts?

mcloughlin2's reply was legitimate. Now you know the name of the fish.

I would be reluctant to put a tank buster in a 4fter. Is it a standard 4 or 4x2x2?

In a standard 4, I would put some american cichlids. oscars, red devil, jaguar, black belt etc.. they all have personality and interact with the owner.

Edit:

I just saw. Standard 4, with extra height....

You can have senegal bichirs in there. They only grow to about 25-30cm. Female is larger. Very active fish, you can decorate the tank with lots of plants, rocks, & woods. They're going around $150-200ea for 10cm ones these days, cheap compare to prices a year ago.

HTH...

the whole point of this thread is for me to find a fish that would fit in a 4ft tank.. that both good for fish and myself.

the fact that i mentioned some fish is to give example of some i like but wouldnt get for varies reasons or since they wouldnt fit in my tank

if your not going to help, and point things out that do nothing but waste space, trying to correct every sentence then just dont reply..

-----

hey bruce, thanks.. ill have a look, though i dont think that my type of fish by the sounds of it. thanks for the suggestion.

-----

btw. even a type of predator cichlid is fine.. :thumb just wanna better idea whats out there.

Chill mate he was helping, as toufic stated have a look at some of the "tougher" SA cichlids....my mates lfs had a red devil called tractor and he was a mean bugger.

Dont be conned into a dovii though, tough as nails yes but it will outgrow your tank....do a bit of research and you should come to a solution on what will fit your tank in comfort (unless you plan to buy bigger later) and sit back and enjoy.....not too sure what min. size tank an Aussie bass would need but it might be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Brett

How about the spotted ctenopoma, or African Leaf fish. They are around everynow and then. They eat everything that will fit in their mouth. They are stalkers and usually will try eat your other fish at night. Very cool fish. I have 4 in a 3ft and they are all around 7cm

Good luck

Adam

hi,

nearly all species should be fine for the first year or two (young'ns) for the 4 ft tank you have.

the problem is that you'll be wanting to stock it with more than just one fish, as its pretty boring looking at just one fish in the tank. Thats when you need to either upgrade tanks or sell/trade the fish as it gets bigger.

My suggestions :

silver arowana, flagtail prochilodus, siamese datnoid (if you can find one) and some clown loaches.

This combination should be good as it balances all the tank out in terms of the range level they take in the tank.

cheers

Tam

thats some nice variety people.. thanks for the replies.

anyone one else??

----

yes i had a look thru the last few few pages, some look good but are way big or cost a small/big fortune just to obtain. so the hunt continues.

even if i cant get the fish in the next few wks or months. as long as i know wat i want to get.. i can keep a look out in the future. not in a rush for this one.. if that makes sense?

americans are looking like a nice option also...

i like tiger oscars and Senegalus Bicher,.. like look nice and got some nice character to them

btw. marrickville aquarium have a tank full of few of the tankbuster/fish mentioned in this thread and in his section of the forum if anyone wants to check it out..

Mate go with the Tiger Oscars. Two actually ! That's probably all that you could keep to a large size in a standard 4 foot. I had that setup ( 4 ft ) with 2 baby oscars in my garage and I fed them everything that crawled into the garage ! They grew like mad and ate huntsman , sml roaches ( not the big buggers ) also earthworms . I know a LFS owner who fed his big oscar mice!!! ( NOT RECOMMENDED , and not for me anyhow )

They are beautiful if have deep colours and when I sold mine to Lams in Parra they were the best oscars he has ever had .

Oh, and make sure you have a heavy duty canister and suck the gravel twice a wk min when they get over 10cm as they are very messy fish with H-U-G-E appetites!

...btw. marrickville aquarium have a tank full of few of the tankbuster/fish mentioned in this thread and in his section of the forum if anyone wants to check it out..

Anything rare/unsual there? A fair way from Merrylands. :thumb

I know the SH Gudgeon max's out about 40cm, but in tanks I've only seen then around the 20cm mark. Two would be ok in 4x18. I think they eat just about anything...if they're like butis butis or sleepy cods, feeding shouldn't be a problem. I know the sleepy cod smash take rosy and small goldies. Butis Butis are cool hunters. I suppose pike cichlids would be ok, if Oscars are suggested. They'll get big, maybe 30cm, but it'll take awhile and I haven't seen any past the 20cm mark around. They'll defn smash feeders.

Alot of predatory african cichilds like the lepiolamproglus (sp?) family - elongatus/kendalli - not many around though.

20-25 Bucktooth tetra's (exodons) are what you really want...but very unlikely to get your hands on them - there's a clip of a guy feed a piece of prawn on youtube...awesome.

Rocket gars + sene bircher combo would be good. Throw in a butis butis/sleepy cod to pick off any stray feeders/food.

yer, my gf lives in marickville.. hahaha they have a few 'birchers, long fin oscars, flagtail prochilodus, arowana or a saratoga.. cant remember which it was, and i think silver dollars and something that looked like a silver shark.. but better.. hahaha.. plus a few others which i dont know names.'

but most werent forsale i think.. just display... and the long fin oscars are gone according my gf's father, he got two tiger ones..

btw. trans in canley vale had a couple of 'gar' and arowana .. also the fish shop near by.. mancaro' or however you spell it.. that was a few wks ago.

thanks people.. ill definately get some tiger oscars, and tank mate with them later on, once all my other tanks are more settled and my colonies are growing strong.

yer.. my friend was suggesting archerfish.. cuz they shoot water at there prey? or something like that.. thats wat i call skills!

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Archived