Substrate: Sand (012)

I was wondering what the best and most cost effective sands to use with a breeding colony of rostratus, venustus, livinstoni and gold occies(different tanks - just wanted to buy in bulk).

I have a box of normal gravel, but was told that a sand would be better.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys 'n' Gals

Chris

i use nepean river sand , they can be purchase at any land scaping store, e.g bunnings for about $5 for a bag of 20 kg.

my fish loves to sift through the sane and havent had any problems with it for my mini reef as well.

BUT be warn they take ages to clean dry.gif

I really want to buy sand too. I live further up the coast past newcastle and have an abundant amount of sand around here with sand mines and all... Wonder if i can get sand from here??? It is like beachsand. is that ok or too coarse?

blink.gif

P.S. how do you gravel vac sand without sucking up the sand???

I live further up the coast past newcastle and have an abundant amount of sand around here with sand mines and all... Wonder if i can get sand from here??? It is like beachsand

sounds alright to me fishy bits. Just make sure that there are no contaminents in the sand and that you clean it properly.

Vacuuming sand is a bit tricky to learn, depending on the grain size...

I used to just skim the surface and get the poo and other detritus out and then give it a good stir to make sure it remains aerobic. I only ran one 4' with an O an a chubby pleco so there was plenty of poo.

Some other folk I know do the skim, but they keep sand-stirring species (can't recall names now - Friday afternoon brain melt smile.gif) to keep the sand bed aerobic.

Pool filter sand is pretty good as the grain size is bigger, but it's about $20 for a $20 kg sack but it does come nice and clean to start with. You can even get away without washing it if you're careful.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived