what to put with a wolf(dovii)?

lee427

Hi all,this is my first post in this part of the forum was over in canberra on monday and picked up a dovii.Just need some ideas on tank mates he's in a 4 foot at the moment but im going to upgrade shortly to a 6x2x2 I'm not going to put anything in with him until i get the bigger tank but i want to know what i can put with him so i can see what some of my choices are.I have one idea maybe a gibbi any ideas would be appreciated.I'll get pics up when i get the time.

thanks lee

Mate, you are on the wrong forum if you want to promote crossbreds. You won't last long here. I am surprised your post has not already been deleted.

how about a royal degree, blue jade or purple general flowerhorn. very beautiful and good luck :thumbup::thumbup:

While cross breeds may not be everyones cup of tea, each is allowed their opinion. As long as the animal is viable (ie can close its mouth) I feel that doesnt break any of the rules.

Anyways just my 2 cents. I have no advice sorry (except get rid of the dovii and go dwarves :B )

Adam

he's about 22-24cm i dont want to breed him i have enough on my plate with the fronts and the troph's at the moment.I don't like flowerhorns sorry mate i'm not fond of hybrids but each to there own.Any ideas on other tank mate's would be appreciated thanks for the comments guys and welcome to the forum superlohan don't worry about bijengum he's just cranky because he doesn't have any flowerhorns

hi,

i can offer some advice based on my experience, but it may not be suitable for all.

I keep 3 Dovii all around the same size as yours with -

P.splendida x 2

A.trimaculatum x 2

Red Devils x 3

Blackbelts x 1

Sailfin plec x 1

Silver dollars x 3

I grew all of these guys from very small at the same time, so they are somewhat used to each other. Now they are all 25cm+ and i have no problems.

Yours being quite large already may not tolerate anyone else?

I have no territorial markers and the tank is bare bottomed.

HTH

Jaymes

I've kept a dovi about 25cm with alot smaller umbee about 15cm in a 5x2 with other pred larger than the dovi. No issue. The dovi was a boy and I was hoping that the umbee was too, but she laid eggs and I was hoping the dovi would do his thing. I'm a fan of crosses, so I was v.interested in that mofo combo. Alot of driftwood and caves in the tank so they all chilled out after a while.

The dovi and umbee was introduced at the same time, and got a hammering from the other pred's so they were lower in the pecking order.

Yeah, any large american like a trimac, blackbelt or red devil should be able to hold its ground. Just change the complete setup just before you place the new fish or take the dovi out for an hr our 2 so that newbie claims the tank...it should help the agression. A colony of dithers like tinnies should help also.

Lee,

How about setting up a Nicaraguan lake biotope, with neets, convicts, A. longimanus and parrots (h. nicaraguensis) but no other large cichlids like midas or jags, the reason being, as mentioned earlier, the dovii being a lone specimen, is more than likely to be one S.O.B. to other fish he may see as competitors, whereas smaller fishes will hopefully be ignored. furhermore fry of these fish will supplement your dovii's diet. just my opinion :thumb

• 5 months later...

Lee,

How about setting up a Nicaraguan lake biotope, with neets, convicts, A. longimanus and parrots (h. nicaraguensis) but no other large cichlids like midas or jags, the reason being, as mentioned earlier, the dovii being a lone specimen, is more than likely to be one S.O.B. to other fish he may see as competitors, whereas smaller fishes will hopefully be ignored. furhermore fry of these fish will supplement your dovii's diet. just my opinion :thumb

Firstly dovii's are fuc%king skits and wen gets bigger will try and eventually will dominate and anyhthing that stands in its path will be fuked . this can be avoided by stocking your tank with other large chcilds like, oscar,umbee, splenditas, fenestratums or whatver soots you, thsi will avoid the aggresion and will be a relaxed tank

• 2 weeks later...

I keep 3 females and a large male, in a 8x2x2 with hartwigi,bifasiatum,fenestratus,splendidas,synspilum,lepidota.....

and the wolves have successfully killed or maimed at least 1 of each of these.....

including a 20cm female.....in my opinion, once they reach about 12inches, you should keep them separated

from anything smaller than themselves......actually they should be separated from each other, until the girls fatten up enough to lay on demand,cos when the boy says "GO" she better be ready.....or she'll be compost within hours.....

i searched high and low for these beasties......and thought i could pull it off,

(keeping them all together)......but i am learning very quickly that they do all thier murdurous

deeds during the night!!!

dont get me wrong...i love em....but i was warned by many people

that they are the kings of cichlids....i learned the hard way...

be careful what you wish for cos you just might get it!!!

good luck

Jeff

Archived