live foods

paulibius

What is the best and easiest live foods to raise to feed fry.

I will be expanding my fry production considerable over the next 6 months and looking to find out what people feed there fry. I am looking to do live foods if there is any that are easy, cost effective and not tim consuming.

Cheers for any help, Paul.

You can buy brine shrimp eggs and raise them yourself following the instructions on the back. You need an airstone, salt and a bottle I think and some other stuff.

Bruce

You could try and decapsulate them and then feed them the eggs without hatching. Some say it's more nutritious as the baby brine shrimp does not need to waste energy and break through the shell. Plus it's a little easier to feed and prepare aswell.

I have used baby brine shrimp, microworms, grindal worms and whiteworms before.

I never like hatching BBS so i stopped.

I had microworms several times, they smell bad and need constant replacement.

I'm not keeping any live culture atm.

However, if i was going to...

I would feed my newly hatch fry the decapsulated BBS and my larger fry grindal worms.

The meal worms are hard, i don't think your fry would enjoy eating it much.

have u considered feeding them Argent Cyclo-eeze? I know it isn't live food but it is much easier than hatching or decapsulating BBS.

I have started using it for my tropheus fry and they seem to like it. I know someone who has noticed that their fry are growing quicker and are more colourful after feeding this food.

One of our sponsors Prettyfancyfish is selling it!

Here is a link with info about cyclop-eeze:

cyclop-eeze

hth

Dave

I have thought about using the cyclo-eeze but it cost alot and when your feeding 1000+ fry don't know how long it would last.

I definately wouldn't mind trying the decapsulated BBS. See how cost effective it is.

So has anyone tried the vinagar eels. They seem quite easy to culture and very cost effective. Would like to hear about peoples experiece with them.

Cheers Paul.

have u considered feeding them Argent Cyclo-eeze? I know it isn't live food but it is much easier than hatching or decapsulating BBS.

I have started using it for my tropheus fry and they seem to like it. I know someone who has noticed that their fry are growing quicker and are more colourful after feeding this food.

One of our  sponsors Prettyfancyfish is selling it!

Here is a link with info about cyclop-eeze:

cyclop-eeze

hth

Dave

I think they are the same as "billabong bugs" confused.gif

I prefer microworms to BBS. BBS are a hassle and are expensive IMHO. There's several posts about this in the FAQ.

Microworms properly established (& fed), smell little, are cheap, easy and a nutrient rich source of food.

Microworms are easy peasy, don't smell, fry love them and do great on them. I managed to keep several cultures going for quite a few years on a little food, moderately regular starting of new cultures, and a great deal of neglect. It was forgetting to put water in for too long that did me in, in the end ... I'll be getting some more very soon (anyone??).

thought of pepper grindered NLS grow formula?

I know it's not a live food but with the quantity you're looking to raise it'll be a lot less hassle

G'day Paul

It depends on the fry that I am trying to raise as to what I feed.

In regard to live food if I have multiple vinegar eel cultures that I use. These are my kind of culture as they can be left alone for many months and are able to be cranked up and into full production relatively quickly. These are excellent for fry that are quite tiny.

A coffee grinder is invaluable and I often powder up the adults foods. These can be bought relalatively cheaply. A pepper grinder can also be used.

I am working on getting a blackworm culture operational but time constraints have not allowed this to happen, but it is on the drawing board.

Depending on the fish Cyclop-eeze is also used. With noticable results. woot.gif

Other possible solutions (depends on what you wish to raise)

A whiteworm culture may assist you on your mission. I have had these in the past with pretty good success.

Microworms can also be used. My mum always has a few on the go.

Daphnia may also provide a solution to your needs.

Earthworms

hth

Matthew

it's also worth noting that for some reason people think microworms are less nutritious than brine shrimp. It's simply not true.

I dont really think there is another alternative which is as easy to culture (in usuable amounts), inexpensive and good for your fish.

it's also worth noting that for some reason people think microworms are less nutritious than brine shrimp. It's simply not true.

I dont really think there is another alternative which is as easy to culture (in usuable amounts), inexpensive and good for your fish.

I'm with you....Yew!

Do you have anything to back up your comments in regards to micro worms are as nutritious as BBS? I personally have always thought they were, if not more so), as I have regarded BBS to be only as good as what they are feed, and generally they go straight into a fish's mouth, so their nutritional value would only be what they are born with. I have always understood micro worms to be high in protein.

Micro worm cultures if properly looked after do not smell (much), if it stinks, then it's gone off, and is probably not producing anyway. A culture will last about a month, with around two weeks of that producing worthwhile amounts. You will need multiple cultures going at the one time as at any one point in time the culture will be at a certain point in its "life cycle". More babies = more cultures.

Craig

Archived