Tropheus on a system

G'day guys;

I was just wondering if keeping tropheus in a minireef system would disadvantage them in any sort, being the sensitive fish that they are i wouldn't be surprised if doing this caused them harm from waste of other fish running on the system missed by the filter aswell as other problems.

cheers; Richard

Hey mate

This is just my opinion ok. T's need pretty spot on water conditions. What other fish are you planning to keep on this system and how many tanks are you running on this system?

Another thing is T's like weekly water changes of 30% we will say, and imagine changeing all that water from the other tanks as well.

I would go other tangs species if you are going to run the systen as these would be closest compared to water quality with the T's. Also i know it probably wont happen but it could, other fishes food getting through to the T's.

HTH

Cameron

I'd do it, only with other tangs in the linked tanks though.

I feed NLS almost exclusively anyway so the food thing ain't a problem.

As for water perameters, I'm sure the other fish won't mind cleaner water - just treat the whole system as a big tropheus tank.

Maybe put a UV straight after the return pump if you're worried, a small one just on the T's return line if you don't want a huge one to do all the tanks in the system.

Geez I wish I had the money/space for moliros... laugh.gif

Running tropheus on a system, good idea or bad?

Bad...for many reasons.

Andrea smile.gif

Please Elaborate. I thought if the system was only running T's then they would be better served with the better filtration.

Ave

ever heard the saying..."all your eggs in one basket"

thats the bit that scares me about it esp. if you get a nasty....

i cant really see the bad thing, (someone ellighten me please) i mean its a bigger body of water, meaning more stable, the ability to incorporate a planted tank in th esystem couldn't be bad for the nitrites etc, and the Ts cant eat them. as for othyer fish, almost all of my Ts are in with other fish, all tangs, heaps of different types, all excep the kiriza which are in a 6x2x2 to them selves.

it would mean that all tanks would need to be impecible, so that one does not become a center for bacterial culture that ill ultimateley cost you heaps of cash.

i , have i do have all my tanks seperate, it takes many hours every weekend but its worth the peace of mind.

As Mick has pointed out "all your eggs in one basket"...let's say you have a bloat episode in one tank. Now you have to treat (possibly) 1000's of litres with expensive medications and stand to lose many more fish than if it were contained in one tank. I wouldn't do it, others might.

Andrea smile.gif

If you get aproblem you can isolate the tank inquestion by turning off the in tap. Use a portable canister filter or something and traet that tank. When having system tank use UV on the out pipe from the tank. Also use a fluidized bed filter to grow good bacteria in the sump. 90% of my fish are on system. No problems so far.

Cheers Paul thumbup.gif

The problem with Tropheus and bloat is that by the time you've noticed an individual acting strangely, the likelihood of it being through the whole system is very high.

Andrea smile.gif

Isn't bloat caused mainly by bad water quality. On asystem you can have great water quality with minamal maintanance. Get good filtration for fraction of the cost of setting up for individual tanks. I don't hav many tropheus so I'm probably wrong.

No offence taken Paul smile.gif I certainly don't follow all the "rules" of fishkeeping. What works for some doesn't necesssarily work for others. I haven't had any Tropheus disasters over the years, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen to me. I guess everyone sticks to the formula that they have had the most success with thumb.gif The idea of running several colonies of T's off of the one system disturbs me on many levels...but that's me...easily disturbed tongue.gifzipit.gif

Andrea smile.gif

I tend to agree with Andrea on this one!

Why not compromise and use a mini reef for one tank? It offers great filtration and is easy to maintain. Maybe 2 tanks to one mini reef would be the maximum for tropheus.

I don't think a UV filter is useful to prevent the spread of bloat from my experience so don't really on it!

I have visited Aline's (chipimbi) new fishroom and all tanks have there own separate side air driven filtration systems purely to prevent the spread of any disease.

It is up to u if u want to risk putting your tropheus into one big system. It will probably work but when u get a disaster u will kick yourself!

hth

Dave

All air driven filters here too thumb.gif I guess another way of looking at it Paul is this....lets consider 8 tanks on a system. Those 8 tanks could contain $1000.00 worth of "assorted" fish or $8000.00 worth of T's. If it goes wrong with T's, it's usually a much more costly event.

Andrea smile.gif

We learnt long ago through, friends and aquaintances, the disasters that can occur using shared reef systems sad.gif and made a decision not to pursue that form of filtration. Mind you it was very appealing - especially for water changes and heating purposes:lol4:

The bad stories always seem to balance out with the good ones. I for one am very happy with our individual, air driven sidedrops where I am able to control the nasties more effectively if the need ever arises dry.gif

Cheers

Archived