Does fish food go off?

spedwards

I was also impressed by all the positive feedback about NLS, and therefore I bought a 2.27kg cichlid formula bucket about 4 months ago. Sorry but I would have to say, I am not really impressed. I feel that my fish are not really keen on the NLS. everytime I put them in the tank, they are not as excited compare to other fish food such as colorbits or bloodworms. They will eat them when they have no other choice. I can not say their  growth rate and color has improved in the past 4 months. Also some of my bigger american has ignored them too...

I am still feeding my fish different varifity of food.

Correct me if i am wrong, according to  the books and other soures, isn't the live food best for the fish??

Thanks for sharing.

Felix

Hi Felix,

You said on the 24th Jan, here on this forum the following;

"I didn't know they are so timid, whenever I walk past the tank, they just never show up. I hardly notice any fish come out in the open. The tank looks empty all the time and they spend all their time inside the caves and hole. ..."

Reading this and some of your other posts, it looks like you have some other issues that need be dealt with. If they never come out and show any interest in anything, how can you blame NLS? And also fish will pretty much eat anything when they are hungry. Try putting some Weet-bix. (I personally wouldn't)

Also I have said in the past if you feed NLS 50% you will get 50% results. Do you feed blood worms to your Mbuna?

As far as what books say, sorry I don't believe every thing I read.

A very wise man said once "Much of scientific wisdom today began as a heresies of another time" TFH editor

You might want to read this aswell.

http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=13

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty good link waruna, it shows RD posting on that forum prior him importing NLS into Canada - if you look around on Cichlid-Forum you can find similar stuff too (posts prior him selling it)

When you only feed them a partial diet of a particular food, then the results you see are hardly an indication of the effects of that food.

Bingo!

Take & look at the adult A. rubescens at the top of the page on the following link, and read the caption below it. Then take a look at the various other fish on that page, many which were raised since small juvies on an exclusive diet of NLS.

http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/gallery.html

I should have several more new pics added to that page later this week. cool.gif

I've yet to own a freshwater species of fish that I couldn't train to eat any type of food that I offer it. Some are more picky than others, but eventually they will eat, and eat with great gusto when they realize that all other foods will no longer be offered. Fish aren't intelligent enough to know what's best for them, that's our job.

I was also impressed by all the positive feedback about NLS, and therefore I bought a 2.27kg cichlid formula bucket about 4 months ago. Sorry but I would have to say, I am not really impressed. I feel that my fish are not really keen on the NLS. everytime I put them in the tank, they are not as excited compare to other fish food such as colorbits or bloodworms. They will eat them when they have no other choice. I can not say their  growth rate and color has improved in the past 4 months. Also some of my bigger american has ignored them too...

Correct me if i am wrong, according to  the books and other soures, isn't the live food best for the fish?? 

Thanks for sharing.

Felix

Hi Felix,

"I didn't know they are so timid, whenever I walk past the tank, they just never show up. I hardly notice any fish come out in the open. The tank looks empty all the time and they spend all their time inside the caves and hole. ..."

Reading this and some of your other posts, it looks like you have some other issues that need be dealt with. If they never come out and show any interest in anything, how can you blame NLS? And also fish will pretty much eat anything when they are hungry. Try putting some Weet-bix. (I personally wouldn't)

Also I have said in the past if you feed NLS 50% you will get 50% results. Do you feed blood worms to your Mbuna?

A very wise man said once "Much of scientific wisdom today began as a heresies of another time" TFH editor

Waruna, The timid fish i have mentioned is the afra cobue. They are timid in nature and just scare of everything as far as I know. All my other fish are not like that (Electric blue, American, Electric Yellow, Venustus, catfish...etc) so please don't judge me base on a sentence i posted in the past.

Yes, I do feed my american bloodworm and even earthworm, a very fat one too. ( I culture them) I do not see there is any problem there. please tell me this is not a good practice.

If they never come out and show any interest in anything, how can you blame NLS?

I am not trying to blame NLS, I am just sharing my thoughts and experience with them. So do you expect everybody to say good thing about them? If I have used them incorrectly, I am open to suggestion and will find new way to feed them to my fish. Cos at the end of the day, we are always looking for best fish food for our fish as a hobbyist.

Felix

I think this topic has gone way off what it was originally meant to tackle.

Since I've had a bad experience with NLS but am still willing to give it a try for my fish, anyone willing to send me a sample????

LOL.gifthumbup.gif

btw: If anyone is feeling generous I'm interested in the Water Stable wafers, Koi formula and large fish formula raisehand.gif

Since I've had a bad experience with NLS but am still willing to give it a try for my fish, anyone willing to send me a sample????

:LOL:  thumbup.gif

btw: If anyone is feeling generous I'm interested in the Water Stable wafers, Koi formula and large fish formula  raisehand.gif

Hi Wui,

I have been a strong supporter of NLS for nearly 5 years.

More then happy to send you a sample of each. Unfortunately Koi formula is not brought into australia. Please email sales@aquariumproducts.com.au with your details.

Ben thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Felix

Hi Felix,

Waruna, The timid fish i have mentioned is the afra cobue. They are timid in nature and just scare of everything as far as I know. All my other fish are not like that (Electric blue, American, Electric Yellow, Venustus, catfish...etc) so please don't judge me base on a sentence i posted in the past.

Yes, I do feed my american bloodworm and even earthworm, a very fat one too. ( I culture them) I do not see there is any problem there. please tell me this is not a good practice.

If they never come out and show any interest in anything, how can you blame NLS?

I am not trying to blame NLS, I am just sharing my thoughts and experience with them. So do you expect everybody to say good thing about them? If I have used them incorrectly, I am open to suggestion and will find new way to feed them to my fish. Cos at the end of the day, we are always looking for best fish food for our fish as a hobbyist.

Felix

No I do not expect every one to say positive things about NLS, the wise man up there also said that " There is not a single product or a service in the world that can please every one" which I say is so true.

Mate I didn't judge you by one thread, I had a quick read just to know which kind of fish you keep and also to know if you had any problems with NLS in the past. I also came across this (sorry if I was out of line)

"His condition seems to be stabilized, not getting any better or worse. Although, as I stated before, his mouth was completely destroyed... He is just hiding in the log and doesn't come out. The cause of the disease I would say it is more likely a malnutrition issue"

"I notice he starts eating the flakes now. Surprisingly the symptom is not getting worse, so I might just give him a chance. Hopefully he can survive"

I gathered after the quick read, it was whole in the head?

Did you know this was diet related?

Here's what Pablo had to say about this;

http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=67

That's why I said you may have other problems. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No matter what any body thinks about NLS, I know I can trust NLS. Pablo said, I think it was pretty close to a decade ago, that hole in head, lateral line, and fin erosion are diet related. I think people didn't believe him then, they thought it was poor water quality. Some people probably still believe it.

I think it's the same with feeding one food to your fish, years to come we will wander what was all that fuss was about. I've done it for 3 years now, haven't had any problems.

Sorry again, if I was rude. English is my second language and often I use funny words in sentences. (And when I speak too) smile.gif

:LOL:  thumbup.gif

btw: If anyone is feeling generous I'm interested in the Water Stable wafers, Koi formula and large fish formula  raisehand.gif

Hi Wui,

I have been a strong supporter of NLS for nearly 5 years.

More then happy to send you a sample of each. Unfortunately Koi formula is not brought into australia. Please email sales@aquariumproducts.com.au with your details.

Ben thumb.gif

Good man wink2.gif

You can say that again! wink2.gif

Has provided some interesting reading though. I think I'll wait until I've got some tank occupants first, and then grab a small package to see how the fish like it...

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, I am reporting back about the NLS. So far I haven't noticed any improvement from feeding this food, however I have only been using it as a supplement (mainly due to cost factor as I have over 40 tanks). On the plus side, I'm yet to see a fish that won't touch it, but again I can say this about the sera flora too. Now that my Tropheus have been slowly changed over to it, I will start to feed them it exclusively and see if there is any marked improvement. It is possible that I haven't noticed any difference because my fish get a wide variety of prepared and fresh foods anyway. Still, I'll keep you posted.

Andrea smile.gif

For what it is worth, I have just started a trial with the food.

I like to think I am a typical Aussie and hate all the american style hype this food seems to generate, but still decided to try it too make sure I wasn't missing out.

I am feeding it to Multies, Brevis, tropehops, afra, nanacara and tetras. I got the cichlid one and the community one (different pellet sizes).

I still have a lot of another brand pellet for my big Americans so they will have to wait for a trial later.

I have mixed up a bit of the two different sizes for the multies and brevis as I have always believe that small foods make Multies breed, and trying that theory on the brevis also.

I decided at the start to feed NLS exclusively, as that seems to be the reccomended approach. I will continue this for another month - then evaluate.

It has now been two weeks on the food and these are my thoughts.

I like the ease of feeding and the fish like the food. I would say that although it seems expensive I am feeding less for full happy stomachs and fish - so probably cancels out the $ issue. Raises the question as to whether I overfed before with mainly flakes and a bits type food.

In terms of colour I haven't seen a huge difference yet, but was feeding them well before anyway (the brands I was feeding are respected quality brands) so maybe won't see a huge change. More interested in health and vigour. Subjectively this seems to have improved (maybe as not overfeeding).

At the moment I am happy with NLS and will buy again. So far I don't believe it is a magic wand the hype seems to imply- but a good solid food.

Steve

For what it is worth, I have just started a trial with the food. 

I  like to think I am a typical Aussie and hate all the american style hype this food seems to generate, but still decided to try it too make sure I wasn't missing out.

I am feeding it to Multies, Brevis, tropehops, afra, nanacara and tetras.  I got the cichlid one and the community one (different pellet sizes).

I still have a lot of another brand pellet for my big Americans so they will have to wait for a trial later.

I have mixed up a bit of the two different sizes for the multies and brevis as I have always believe that small foods make Multies breed, and trying that theory on the brevis also.

I decided at the start to feed NLS exclusively, as that seems to be the reccomended approach.  I will continue this for another month - then evaluate.

It has now been two weeks on the food and these are my thoughts.

I like the ease of feeding and the fish like the food.  I would say that although it seems expensive I am feeding less for full happy stomachs and fish - so probably cancels out the $ issue.  Raises the question as to whether I overfed before with mainly flakes and a bits type food.

In terms of colour I haven't seen a huge difference yet, but was feeding them well before anyway (the brands I was feeding are respected quality brands) so maybe won't see a huge change.  More interested in health and vigour.  Subjectively this seems to have improved (maybe as not overfeeding). 

At the moment I am happy with NLS and will buy again.  So far I don't believe it is a magic wand the hype seems to imply- but a good solid food.

Steve

Steve, Both Cichlid and the Community formulas come in a 1mm pellet (same size pellets) smile.gif

maybe he meant one of the 1mm varieties along with the 3mm large fish formula or the .35mm small fish formula?

Archived