Feeding: Away for several days

hungsta

Just make sure your filters are not boarder line in need of cleaning, follow your normal water change routine if your not a slacker, or a water change before you go if you are (a slacker).

You will come back to tanks that are cleaner than what they would have been if you'd been home and done silly things like feed the fish.

Craig

left my fish for nearly a week last week and came back to 5 mouthfuls of burtoni with multis in them, 5 mouthfuls of maswas, and i think two shells with calvus babies.

Think i will leave them alone more often, no one going in and out and looking at them etc just gets them going.

Mark

FWIW, sometimes leaving them be is safer than getting someone to feed them; most people seem to overfeed, unless they keep fish themselves. I've certainly left mine alone for a week; any longer I have a battery operated fish feeder.

HEy guys,

Thank you so much for all your information.

Fiona, no i do not have any tiny teenies in there.

Finnas, i thought those white shells were stupid when i first say them.

Cthompson, i will not be a slacker and will do the regular maintenance.

Elise007, congrats on your spawn, but i do not understand the reason behind them spawning???? i thought that if you feed them generously after a water change will promote breeding. Or is the lack of feeding = cleaner water = breeding trigger?

I have left mine for up to 3 weeks - the only problem then was a heater died so I lost a tank - this time i will be away for about ten days

all I do is clean the filters a bit the week before I go and fatten them up for the week leading up to the day I go and do a water change the night before i leave

I wouldnt give 4 days a second thought - they are probably glad that you are leaving them alone

Dave

wazza - maybe you purchased a different brand. All i know is when i put my tablets in the tank and came back a week later, the water was a milky white colour and the guppies were floating?!? I decided to buy an automatic feeder, best decision i've made yet.

CThomson, I probably wouldn't leave your fry without food for 4 days. If they are healthy then i suppose it might be okay, seeing as though they have lost their egg sacks. What sorta fry are they? If they are omnivores, you could do the following.

Suspend two containers, (one with a tap cut into the side of the container. ) The other container has to have a 1cm hole in the side and brineshrimp. Position the first container vertically above the second (10cm gap between top container and bottom but doesn't really matter within reason) with the tap set to drip once every 2 seconds or so.

what will happen is the first container with the tap will fill up the second container with the water. The brinshrimp in the second will then flow through the 1cm hole and into the tank. The speed at which the tap drips will determine the rate at which the fry get fed <_<

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

a good friend of mine goes fishing for a week about once every 2 months.

he has alot of koi outside plus a few tanks of assorted tropicals indoors.

this is what he has been doing for almost a decade:

a week or 2 before leaving he halves the amount of food (to slow metabolism),

does required waterchanges and filter cleanings,

in his tropical tanks he either gradually removes all heaters or turns the temp down (depending on hot or cold climate).

upon return he again does his waterchanges,

over the next few days he gradually re-adjusts the temps of his tropical tanks.

he continues to feed half their "normal" amount for a week, then slowly begins to increase the amount (i'm not sure if this is necessary but it is his regime and it works well)

nowadays i go around when he is gone but only to feed his birds and collect his mail laugh.gif

cheers guys hope that helps

ryan.

Archived