5x2x2 How many litres?

raz7au

566 litres for a 5x2x2. Work out the feet in cm for you length, height, and width then multiply them all together and divide by 1000. eg 2ft = 60.96 cm.

HTH

Nick.

It depends on what the garage is made of. If it's double brick it'll be better insulated than a fibro or permalum garage but on the safe side stick it to 24 and see how you go on hotter days. My garage is fibro and I've got all my heaters at 24 degrees. When we had 32 degree weather a couple of days ago they got up to maximum 27.5 degrees.

HTH

Nick.

The other part of your question regarding the cycling of dependant on a few things. Generally it will take 2-3 weeks for the tank to cycle. You can speed up the process by a number of different methods i.e. using water from an established tank, using an established filter (sponge, canister), squeezing an established sponge filter into your new tank or using bottled bacteria.

for about 400-500 litres tank, its better if u use 2 heaters, one on each side of the tank. i have a 5(150cm)x2(60)x2'2(65) and i find that by using one heater, the temp varies considerably from one end to the other, one side will be 31.5 degrees and the other side will be 29 with one heater only even though i have very strong water circulation.

but when i use two heaters its more evenly spread.

how do you plan on cycling? Fishless? A couple of goldfish?

You need to get regular, small amounts of waste/ammonia in there somehow.

I have found that cycling with just a couple of fish will take 30 days for all traces of ammonia/nitrite to disappear.

Using one or more of the methods described by Ged can drastically reduce that but only you (and a test kit) can know what's happening in your tank and no one here can tell you exactly when to add your fish.

At a minimum you need to be able to test for pH, ammonia & nitrite.

I agree 28 deg. seems a bit high but depends what sort of fish you plan on keeping.

The garage may not be too hot, will depend to a degree of how much air circulation there is. Does it have windows? Can you leave the door open on hot days etc

oakes

Archived