Another noisey Eheim 2217

thermofish

I read the other string on a noisey 2217 and its not air or a blockage thats causing the vibration and noise in mine, i think it might be missing bushes or washes. But since i got it second hand i dont have a manual or parts list and therefore im not sure if anything is missing.

I suspect the impellor is jumping up and down or side to side in its housing.

Could anyone help me out ??

cheers.

Ok, ive checked the parts and everything is there and where it should be, but its still making alot of vibration and noise. There is no air or blockage in the system.

Could it be a problem with the magnetism of the impellor's magnet or the electro magnet that turns the impellor??

Im stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This thing is in my room and is driving me crazy.

cheers.

If you're sure there is no air trapped, Make sure there isn't a small piece of sand or other grit trapped in with the impellor. Score lines on the magnet section may be a give away here if this is the issue.

The next step is to change the impellor as you suggest. I haven't bought a new Eheim impellor for a long time, but I understand that they are as expensive as buying a whole pump of other cheaper brand.

I see you are at Newtown, if I were you, I'd take the whole pump to Auburn Aquarium, see if a new impellor fixes the issue rather than buy it and take it home and find it dosn't help. Ring them before you go, they have heeps of Eheim gear, just make sure they have your impellor in stock.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

You probably have this sorted out by now. However, at the place I used to work, we used loads of 2217's to filter the tanks.

One problem I found is that the central hole in the impellers would be worn to an oval shape over time by the ceramic shaft.

You could check to see if the hole is circular or has been worn to an oval.

EDIT: Weeeeeeee, my first post, G'day to everyone smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived