Stripping or spitting

Hey

Just wanted to know what everyone does in terms of getting the babies to come out.

I myself let them spit naturally. Sure it may take a while for them to learn to hold but i think it is much better than just ripping them out of their mouth or so to speak. LOL.gif

Camo

It depends on the situation. If you have a fish that constantly swallows and you want fry you sometimes need to strip. I also have stripped if i had no tank to put the fry in at the time (i don't like putting a female in a 'small' fry saver). Other than that i think letting the female spit is the best option.

Anthony

It can depend on the fish , you do get greater numbers by stripping ( the fish that is blush.gif ) but I have found it to be less stressfull by letting them hold to full term .

I let mine spit whilst in a fry saver
I have found this is works the best for me thumbup.gif

I have only ever stripped em if I feel that the female is getting too skinny or I have other health concerns, and even then it is usually not until they are due to spit anyway. IMO it is much better to let them do it naturally! thumbup.gif As for increasing yields, I just got 19 fry out of a 6cm mpanga girl, which I attribute to low stress levels during holding. Just my 2c.

Cheers, Chris

I have to strip my female hongi. She has had several mouthfuls this year. The first she held that long that all but 2 fry died. She actually spat out 15 dead babies. On her second one she held past three weeks. SO i decided to strip her. She had 32 fry. the third she held for a similar time without spitting so I stripped again and she had 28.

As long as you do it correctly I think stripping is the best option for those stubborn females.

Ave

Yea i mostly strip my females (fish) tongue.gif . I should let them spit for something different but i feel sorry for the fish when she has not eating for about a month. But in hindsight it is probably better and less stressfull if i let them spit.

Recently i have had 3 acei's with there first brood and one spat her eggs out.

So i decided to give the egg tumbler a go. But when i get them in a bigger tank i think i let them spit naturally.

thanks ryan

i would like to know what everyone means by stripping.what does everyone do to strip.ive heard of paper clips down the mouth and all sorts of things.with my fish a just cup them in my hand.hold them in a fry saver still in the water and just squeeze their gills ever so lightly a couple of times and they spit them all out.to me it the fish look alot less stressed than sticking something down their throats. i do this about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through,so they can get back to condition quicker and easier

regards

chris

Hi guys,

There are quite a few threads on stripping fish in this forum, unfortunately i do not have the time to go searching for you atm smile.gif .

There are many schools of thought on this one and no right or wrong - just opinion.

Stripping fish can be detrimental to the fish due to incorrect methods used, time taken and also what species is stripped. Some fish with smaller mouths or mandibles(jaw bone) can be quite difficult to strip and with little force we can dislocate this area sad.gif

Stripping should take no longer than 5-10 seconds minimising the stress and the time the fish is out of the water. I actually strip mine with the females gills submersed.

I only strip when the fish is losing too much condition , as in the case of Tropheus, these guys can hold up to 5-6 weeks, and the males tend to harrass them as they weaken. Tropheus are just as likely to eat their fry so plenty of hidey holes, pebbles in the substrate etc is required for the fry.

I use a cotton bud, the cotton grips to their teeth allowing easier opening of their mouth. I have one demasoni female, that I have stripped for 3 years - she just opens her mouth as I hold her and spits them for me - must have trained her along the way LOL.gif

Some choose to seperate holding females till they spit, some just cut their losses and allow the natural course of events to take place in the tank - Darwin's theory.

Horses for courses, always keeping in mind the fishes welfare.

HTH

Aline

Hiya,

i have frontosa & they are stripped once the fry's been held for around a month. Sometimes you see an escapee & then realize ma's spat the lot. which is then a pain as you either strip the whole tank down in search of the babies or leave them & they are sucked up by pleco or eatten by the other fronts.

i don't like to move the ma to another tank for her to spit naturally as i think this is far more stressful on her.

It isn't harmful to the fish if done correctly & more fry is produced. My fry are then released into a floaty fry tank in with the colony until a week or two has passed then they go into another tank to grow.

heres a good link to a pictorial on how to do it.

stripping fry by eric glab

Archived