sexing Lombardoi

<H1>A very shy Lombardoi</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: paparossco</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

I have 2 lombardo's I have done some reading and according to the various reading's the males turn yellow or lose their strips. I did notice a post a few weeks back and it said the females can turn yellow and some males do not, so now I am not sure, what to believe.

<br>

<br>

Both are blue and black so I assumed that they were both female, but one of them hides under a piece of drift wood all day and loses its stripes. While the other one has the usual markings and is blue and black and moves freely through the tank.

<br>

<br>

So is the reason that one of them hides all day is that because it is a sub-dominant female and other is the dominant female?

<br>

<br>

They are both about 6-7cm in length and I have had them both for about 1 year.

<br>

<br>

Any help would be appreciated

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

PR

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bekh</STRONG><BR><BR>you wouldnt happen to have any pics of them would you>? i have just sold my lombardoi as the prized male passed away. ok i thought i had 4 females but when the other male died one started changing to the ornage/yellow male colour. the guy i sold them to says that he sees them doing the shimmy dance. One way you can determine is by the egg spot. If it is largish then you probably have a male that just isnt very dominant. the females dont usually get egg spots and if they do they are usually small. But yeh our females some were the light yellow colour but u could still see the stripes and others were blue with stripes. But yeh the egg spot usually tells you. Our male so so bright in his colour that it was obvious so i imagine if it was a male and he was the only male that he would show his colours.

<br>

hope this is some help

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wui39</STRONG><BR><BR>Do you put lombardoi in a white bucket to see what sex they are? Or is that another type of fish?

<br>

<br>

<br>

Wui-Kiat

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Barca888</STRONG><BR><BR>Maybe lomardoi are one of those fish species which needs a dominate male in a group. Such as a fish i was told about at a uni lecture where the dominate female turns into a male. If the fish always hiding has lost its stripes it may be due to stress, constantly getn beaten up.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mezzacam</STRONG><BR><BR>I have 5 lombardoi, and yes the females do lose their stripes.. What I have noticed with mine is that a females stripes will only show up really strong when she is in an aggressive or defensive mood. When she is placid and happy she pretty much loses most of her stripes. Getting a male would be quiet an experience... lol.. but i suggest not to put them in with other types of fish if you do get a male. My male doesn't stand for anything in the tank what so ever. He doesn't even like the females what so ever until they are ready to breed... Hope this has helped.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BettaAnt</STRONG><BR><BR>I have found that my dominant female actually loses its stripes when defensive, it depends on the fish ,they are all different in behavior/mannor. I had a female that turned out to be a subdominant male. Ya betta hope ya dont have a male because they are the biggest pain in the but, mine likes to bash the females against my glass lids. Ive got 4 females and two males and im planin on gettin atleast another 2 females because the male (only the dominant one) spends all his time harasing the females to near death. But other than that they are full of character and i love em

<br>

<br>

Anthony

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: paparossco</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks for all the replies,

<br>

<br>

Judging on the responses I think that my first thoughts were correct as the one that hides all the time was initally beaten up when the I first established the tank so it must be that. I also think that they must both be female.

<br>

<br>

Cheers all

<br>

<br>

PR

</DIV>

Archived