Tankmate/s for rams and neon tetras

<H1>Tankmate/s for rams and neon tetras</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Troy Mclure</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

<br>

I have limmited my choices due to the inhabitants of my 3foot tank mentioned above.

<br>

<br>

I was considdering putting a cockatoo dwarf cichlid in with them. Would this be advisable? Are they available?

<br>

<br>

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

<br>

<br>

Thanks in advance!

<p></P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Apistogramma Cacautoides is a wonderful little cichlid and is usually a cave spawner whereas the ram is an open spawner. Providing you keep several options of each on opposite sides of the tank you should be ok.

<br>

Rams can be very sensitive however and perhaps a golden eye (Nannocara anamola) or flag cichlid (Laetacara curviceps) may be a 'tougher' alternative.

<br>

Be aware that the male apisto will establish a 'super territory' around the breeding site and the female will even keep him away from the spawning site.

<br>

I hope to see you in the dwarf forum

<p>

<br>

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: discusdude99999</STRONG><BR><BR>you could put i some dwarf gouramis, congo tetras, kribensis, any corydoras catfish or bristle nose catfish with them. Not to mention discus....

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Troy Mclure</STRONG><BR><BR>Got a Kribensis. Luverly little swimming nugget of a fish.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishtraderlau</STRONG><BR><BR>to keep with your sth african feel of the tank, why not a few corydorass or glowlight tetras etc ( a little whiptail would look great if you've got the $). I've got a few cacatuoides and while beautiful, can be a bit aggressive at times, like DWD said, some of the other smaller cichlids would be better tank mates with them.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Melbourne Bill</STRONG><BR><BR>I would be extremely cautious about putting kribensis in with neon tetras.

<br>

<br>

The kribensis will ignore the tetras except when the kribs decide to breed...there have been several experiences where the kribs see the neon tetras as threats and wipe them out.

<br>

<br>

Bill

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Why mix biotopes? Kribs are African, Neons and Corys are Sth American and Gouramis are Asian. Why not try to recreate something that represents as close to a natural environment as possible?

<p>

<br>

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Troy Mclure</STRONG><BR><BR>Yeah, I was tricked by the mongrel at the aquarium store. I asked specifically for a SA dwarf cichlid and he grabbed a krib. I went home, took a good look at the fish and then at a book and found out its from west africa.

<br>

<br>

what a mongrel.

<br>

<br>

I'll be looking around for an apisto of some sort. I already have 6 corys in the tank, 2 bristlenoses and 3 rams so I might look for a small cichlid or diamond tetra or something.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>A.agasizzi or A.cacautoides are probably the two most common apistos available, may have trouble with all those egg stealing cories though

<p>

<br>

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: discusdude99999</STRONG><BR><BR>I got sold some kribs once and the guy at the store said they were South American. Anyway I went back a few days later and the guy at the store checked his book and realised he was wrong about them.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Th0mas</STRONG><BR><BR>For a bit of different - look for apistogramma nijsseni (the panda apistogramma). They are very different in colour/shape to agassizi and cacautoides, commonly available (and rather robust) and in similar price range as the other two. However look out for deformities (sames goes with cacautoides).

<br>

<br>

Thomas.

<p></P></DIV><p><p><div align='center'>The Sydney Cichlid Page ©2004</div><p>

Archived