Are bloodworms good

Fins

<H1>Are bloodworms good for growing up small fish quickly?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arrafanatic</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys,

<br>

I was jsut wondering if feeding fish frozen bloodworms makes them grow quickly. I feed my fish every night on frozen bloodworms and after every feed, they all have bloated stomachs as a result of being 'full', however, their growth rate seems to be slow despite this.. Maybe, they are growing.. and i just haven't noticed it.. Are there better foods available for growing small fish up quickly??

<br>

Any help would be appreciated

<br>

Thanks for your time

<br>

Arrafanatic

<p></P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>Bloodworms by themselves don't have sufficient range of nutrients ... also it depends on the species, fish such as mbuna and some others don't do well on a high animal protein diet like that.

<p>

Fiona L.S.

<br>

<br>

Lalor Park, NSW</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>Frozen bloodworm and stale flakes have the same amount of nutrients as shredded newspaper

<br>

<br>

So wont make anything grow faster or healthier on its own.

<br>

<br>

Also as suggested not recommended for most malawis ..

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>

<DIV id=quote>Quote:stale flakes have the same amount of nutrients as shredded newspaper</DIV><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

hey eagleman,

<br>

<br>

how long should fish food be kept for then??

<br>

regarding pellets and flakes...

<p>

<br>

@hotmail.com

<br>

Punchbowl,Sydney.</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ducksta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hung I was thinking exactly that.

<br>

<br>

How do I know when my flakes are stale? I sure as hell am not tasting them!!

<p>

Check out my site!!</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: scitzfish</STRONG><BR><BR>The most important things to remember when feeding any fish but particularly young fish are; small amounts of food often, a varied diets, and really good water quality. I know alot of people swear by beefheart when it comes to growth rate, but as I don't use it on my freshwater fish I can't comment on it. HTH arra.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>Some brands are stale when they arrive here but of course cant name them

<br>

<br>

Pellets are usually fine, i havnt come across any i wouldnt use for the right fish..

<br>

<br>

As long as the flake has some moisture feel to it, soft and not a pile of dry crumbs basically is the easiest way to know

<br>

wether its fresh or not..

<br>

<br>

OSI, HBH, spectrum, nutrifin and tetra would rate as the top 5 ive seen in SA anyway that is just my opinion

<br>

<br>

We went to a seminar once flakes , bloodworms and of course beefheart were rated as the 3 biggest sellers and the 3 least nutritional value ...

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: The Cichlid Man</STRONG><BR><BR>Mark,

<br>

Just wondering what food you use for your fish.

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Ben

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>Wide range of foods really depending on the fish

<br>

<br>

OSi growth and colour

<br>

HBH 8 vegies

<br>

OSi spirilina

<br>

HBH cichlid attack

<br>

HBH sth american pellets

<br>

Hikari gold pellets

<br>

tetra bits

<br>

osi vivid colour flakes sparingly

<br>

Frozen/live Brine shrimp

<br>

Mozzie larvae

<br>

crickets

<br>

earth worms

<br>

woodies

<br>

Spectrum +A pellets

<br>

etc etc

<br>

<br>

Plus a mix of a few brands of flakes etc

<br>

Probably missed a few

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arrafanatic</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks for all the replies guys. They are all greatly appreciated. I currently have a few small fish that i really want to grow up quickly. They are 2 small tinfoil barbs, a blue shark and 2 Red Bellied Pacus. I thought bloodworms were the way to go, but obviously from your replies there are much better foods available. I might try some pellets like nutrafin or something along those lines, as i really want these fish to grow up quickly so they can be moved to my main tank.

<br>

Thanks again guys and keep those ideas and suggestions coming. Cheers

<br>

Arrafanatic

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>thanx mark,

<br>

<br>

I will go feel my flakes now

<p>

<br>

@hotmail.com

<br>

Punchbowl,Sydney.</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: PHL0703</STRONG><BR><BR>If you are buying pellets in bulk (some of the foods, such as Hikari, isn't exactly cheap in small quantities), keeping them in the freezer will help slow down the loss of nutritional value; what I do is just decant a bit into a container for everyday feeding, and leave the bulk in the freezer.

<br>

<br>

I also agree that you should vary their diet; for my tropicals, I use flakes (Nutrafin, a freebie), two types of granules (Hikari and Sera), Hikari algae wafers (which contains quite a lot of fish meal...) and Spirulina tabs, in addition to frozen bloodworms. I'm not in favour of beef heart; don't think that's at all natural in fish diet.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys

<br>

<br>

i feed my discus frozen bloodworms all the time and they dont really seem to be growing well. THe reason i do this is because this is the only thing they will eat. Can anyone give me some recomendations on other foods the would be good for them. I have tried to feed them flake and pellet but they wont take it.

<br>

<br>

Ryan

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arrafanatic</STRONG><BR><BR>Gadday Ryan,

<br>

how big are your discus??

<br>

unfortunately i don't keep discus, so i can't really be of that much help. The only other food i can recommend is some discus granules that tetra or sera make...

<br>

hope this helps mate.

<br>

Arrafanatic

<br>

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: PHL0703</STRONG><BR><BR>

<DIV id=quote>Quote:i feed my discus frozen bloodworms all the time and they dont really seem to be growing well. THe reason i do this is because this is the only thing they will eat. Can anyone give me some recomendations on other foods the would be good for them. I have tried to feed them flake and pellet but they wont take it.</DIV><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

Starve them a bit, then throw in some pellets; they'll get used to it.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jaz1986</STRONG><BR><BR>discus can be very quick to die on that particular weaning method. Try mixing in some pre-soaked red pellets with your blood worms, and gradually increase the percentage of pellet untill it is all you are feeding... use the bloodworms as a treat though... they are a great conditioning food for breeding due to their high protein content... but... as mentioned earlier, they do not have the right balance of vitamins.

<br>

<br>

<p></P></DIV><p><p><div align='center'>The Sydney Cichlid Page ©2004</div><p>

Archived