Saratoga help needed

staffyone

Hi guys, just purchased a leichardti yesterday around 12cms and need a bit of advise on him. Put him in a 4x2x2 with some dolphin mooriis for the moment and hes not that interested in food at present. Is he still settling in or I was wondering if ph might be a bit high for him. It is around 7.8 but I have read articles by people in the states who keep their Arowanas in 8.0 or higher cause thats what comes out of the tap.The tank has coral sand for substrate so I was gonna get rid of that and see what happens. He seems happy enough, but has been spending a lot of time down low in the tank chasing the mooriis. Is this normal? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I am new to natives. Cheers Kevin

I'd get rid of the Moori too, not really the best of tank mates.

If it still doesn't eat in a couple days offer it feeders, just to keep it's strength up, then once you know its healthy then get into onto prepared foods.

I suggest you get a cricket culture and look at breeding them to feed the Saratoga as a suppliment

I've found Saratoga to accept food more readily when it floats

As far as the C.moori are concerned, they are a relatively peaceful Hap and I don't see them causing any probs

All I can advise is try it and see how things go, if it works your happy if it doesn't it gives you a reason for another tank biggrin.gif

cool.gif L2H

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I do have a 6x2x2 for him but its not ready yet. Thought I would just stick him in with the mooriis for the time being, they are around his size. Anyway he ate some bloodworms tonite so I think he is settling in. I plan on keeping him in water straight from the tap(in terms of ph, hardness etc). Will this be ok for him? Cheers Kevin

Moori are not a good tank mate they are too fast moving and will easily steal food from a saratoga. I had a problem when I was keeping jardini with some africans, among them moori.

Crickets are good when the fish is young but very quickly become too small, and the saratoga stuck on them, much easier feeding prepared foods IMO, but what works for you is best.

Hey Staffyone

If ur toga is still on the hunger strike, try mealworms. I have never seen an arow refuse so far. My arows around the 35-40cm size and still goes mad when i feed him mealworms. U will find that after a few days of nothing, drop a mealie in and his gonna go sick.

p.s : if after a few days his still not taking anything try defrosting a cube of bloodworms, use a fine net 2 scoop it up and gently lower it onto ur water surface. U will find that 1/2 the deforsted bloodworms will float 4 a bit and that ur toga will eventually feel it wif his wiskers and have a munch or 2..... enjoy

Archived