Mangrove Jack info needed

staffyone

Gday all. Am going to buy myself a Jack on Saturday and was just wondering if there is anything important I need to know about keeping them? I heard you need to put salt in their water. I take it that is just rock salt, correct me if I am wrong.How much do you need? He will be in a 6x2x2. What temp do they need? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps. Cheers Kevin

Hi -

Speak to the person you are buying them from and match their conditions as Mark suggests :).

As adults - you'll need to slowly increase the salt in their water - to an eventual level or 2tsp/10L.

HTH -

Don't put plants in with them unless they're plastic and cemented in, one of my mates has a jack and it takes great pleasure in ripping the plants and swimming round the tank with it in his mouth. (sounds a lot like a staffy) tongue.gif

They're awesome fish and I would love to have one but my sooty will surfice for the time being.

Mick

Jacks are great fish but very aggressive, they will pretty much eat or kill any tank mates. I have a 30cm fish, at work, that when smaller had a murray cod, yellow belly and bass for companions. The tank was a nice mix for about two weeks until the jack settled-in and started smashing up the other species. Now only jack.

They can tolerate freshwater but respond with more activity and colour to the addition of salt, about 5-10grams of per litre (20kg bags of pool salt, cheap and easy). Some shells in filter will help buffer pH.

Eats everything, especially love live foods (gambusia, shrimps etc).

Add some rocks and/or logs for cover and security.

Very easy and interesting fish to keep. Have fun.

Archived