African Cichlids in Sydney West?

Nav

Hey all,

Can anyone give me the name of a LFS in sydney west who would be good to contact in regards to getting some africans?

Currently I have the below in my tank:

6 x Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus)

9 x Maingano Mbuna (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)

I want to try and find somewhere (for a reasonable price) where I can get:

6 x Pseudotropheus Acei (Pseudotropheus Acei) - yellow tail acei

6 x Pseudotropheus Albino Socolofi (Pseudotropheus Albino Socolofi) - snow white?

5-6 x Synodontis Multipunctatus (Synodontis Multipunctatus)

Not sure what the best place is to buy them from. The classifieds have them from time to time but i'm pretty impatient :)

Aquarium size is 1560mmx740mmx640mm

And here's a photo of my aquarium :)

IPB Image

Refer to sponsors ^^^^^ Tank and Asquith should be able to sort you out.

Thanks for the info regarding the classifieds. In regards to the NSWCS auction, I thought about that but it always clashes with my work times (I do adhoc work on weekends) so I haven't been able to make it to any of the auctions. Hopefully I can make the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the next one isn't just a typical auction either... its their major auction

so there will be a heap of fish varieties available and is only held 2 times a

year so this is one you may want to try and come to.

How does the fish purchasing work there? How large are the batches? I.e. If I only wanted let's say, 5 fish, can you bid on just 5 in the auction or do you need to bid on the whole lot of fish?

How does the fish purchasing work there? How large are the batches? I.e. If I only wanted let's say, 5 fish, can you bid on just 5 in the auction or do you need to bid on the whole lot of fish?

regarding lots and bids - it depends on how many fish are assigned to the one lot - there may be 1 fish there may be 10 fish, all items are sold as 1 lot therefore that is what you bid on

HTH

regarding lots and bids - it depends on how many fish are assigned to the one lot - there may be 1 fish there may be 10 fish, all items are sold as 1 lot therefore that is what you bid on

HTH

Thanks Finn, i'm guessing they don't publish a list of what is going to be up for auction prior to the auction either?

Thanks Finn, i'm guessing they don't publish a list of what is going to be up for auction prior to the auction either?

No list - way too hard to get a list organised - its chaos on the day as it is!

that is nice what is that rock

plus $ pr kg ?

thanks

Hi Foti,

It's artificial (man made) rock. Sorry, I don't have itemized costs, I got the tank (custom made), sump,pumps,heater,rocks/plants,lighting,plumbing all as a package . The rock looks and feels like real rock just a lot lighter.

Nav

With regards to the auction, if you do want more fish (or even if you don't) and you attend the auction you WILL leave with fish. You'll most likely end up getting the fish you want, but also other fish you had no idea you'd want to buy.

It's rather addictive.

Also, it's worth noting that the major auctions go on and on until really late. So, even if you work on Saturday, the auction will probably be going on until after 12 midnight.

With regards to the auction, if you do want more fish (or even if you don't) and you attend the auction you WILL leave with fish. You'll most likely end up getting the fish you want, but also other fish you had no idea you'd want to buy.

It's rather addictive.

Also, it's worth noting that the major auctions go on and on until really late. So, even if you work on Saturday, the auction will probably be going on until after 12 midnight.

On auction day, is their any indication what lots are going to be available throughout the day? I know I asked before about whether their was a list of what is being auctioned prior to the auction, but what about on auction day? It'd be nice to be able to see what's going to be up for auction atleast on the day (I've got my eye set on one species of fish and hoping to get it at a decent price).

On auction day, is their any indication what lots are going to be available throughout the day? I know I asked before about whether their was a list of what is being auctioned prior to the auction, but what about on auction day?

No there is no list of lots on the day either - as mentioned we do not know until the day what people are bringing and have limited time as is to get the data entered in the auction database without having to worry about a list as well.

HTH and hope to see you some time on Saturday

No there is no list of lots on the day either - as mentioned we do not know until the day what people are bringing and have limited time as is to get the data entered in the auction database without having to worry about a list as well.

HTH and hope to see you some time on Saturday

Ah it seems like I most likely won't be able to go to the auction (atleast not for long if i do show up), at least i know next time to book in a day of leave when the auction is. I'm on call for work, and need to be relatively close to home, could maybe get someone to cover me for 1-2 hours, but if the auctions run to midnight-1am, I don't think any of my co-workers will cover for me that long. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one!

Thanks for the info Finn.

i don't think u have to stay for the whole auction...

I'm only after one species of fish, if i go i'll want to stay their in hopes someone is selling it :) haha.

Archived