What are the rarest cichlids in Australia

sicj

I know of one WA hobbyist who has put a rare fish list together based around really rare fish that Norm Halliwell put together and added other fish based on feedback to him. Some of the fish, though are not rare as such, but can be difficult to find 'when you want them now'.

Try a google search 'rare fish list Australia' and see if you can find it.

Fire crest mloto would have to be extremely rare wouldn't it?

I think some of the large Malawi haps are threatened to die out here. I can think of some that are getting very scarce:

- Champsochromis Caerleus

- Lichnochromis Acuticeps

- Aristochromis Christyi

I'd say Exochochromis Anagenys are lost here now.

Matt, I know one person with Copadichromis Virginalis Firecrest Mloto, probably one of the only remaining colonys in Australia. He is very focused on getting them to breed and hopefully they do soon.

Regards, Rob

I have heard rumours of Exochochromis anagenys being around. I even heard a story of a juvenile being sent in a shipment of O. lithobates and everyone wondered for ages why it was growing so much bigger than the other fish.....

Someone has some and is being very quiet, maybe.

Hi Shannon

You are correct, they are still in Hornsby. The Copadichromis Virginalis Firecrest Mloto are with Mike from Reef River Reptile. I check in there every so often to see how they are going. They are not in the shop but he has them at home. I think there was some spawning action recently, will have to check with him again.

Matt, I have heard rumors of Exochochromis Anagenys aswell, but not 100% sure they are really here - a bit like the tassier tiger or the lithgow panther. Any chance of tracking down more info about where the juvenile went or if it still exists?

Rob

Interesting about the Exochochromis Anagenys, I will try to find out more.

With the list, a bit has changed since. Some of the ones that have made a recovery since then are: Protomelas Spilonotus - plenty of Tanzania around and I have seen a few Mara Rocks aswell. I think it also lists Pseudotropeus Livingstoni as extinct but thanks to the club these have been resurrected. Nimbochromis Linni - I see on petlink there have been lots of fry advertised for a while now and their colony looks to be breeding well. Hemitilpaia Oxyrhyncus - John & Coni have been breeding these and I have 6 of their fry at home. While some on the list have improved since then, there are a lot that have gone down hill. e.g. how many Champsochromis Caerleus do you see around these days compared to a few years ago. Also Otopharynx Torpedo Blue were around years ago but haven't seen these - may be extinct.

http://auscichlids.c...g10983#msg10983

This is the latest "official list" I know of. But it is wrong because I know of a Hoplarchus psitticus swimming in a tank somewhere locally.

the real parrot cichlid here in Australia? - im stumped...

I'm going to try to verify this and lay my eyes on this fish, because misidentifications and hybrid fish abound.

Hi Shannon

You are correct, they are still in Hornsby. The Copadichromis Virginalis Firecrest Mloto are with Mike from Reef River Reptile. I check in there every so often to see how they are going. They are not in the shop but he has them at home. I think there was some spawning action recently, will have to check with him again.

Rob

He had one male that was showing some signs of spawning, I hope they spawn since I supplied them to him.

S.tinanti,L buescheri and N transvestitus are not uncommon down south.I have the 3 in my tanks

Maybe we could all post our list of species on this forum and someone could correlate them,not very accurate but a start ???

I may be best to send your fish species list via PM to a set account so that the information can be collated. I will see what I can organise.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived