Lethargic severum

patchy

1. Description of the symptoms, obvious signs of disease and behaviour of your fish.

Three 6-8cm gold severums that are acting very lethargic. Some of them are more lethargic then others. The biggest one is the worst with the smallest one with less lethargic. They just sit on the bottom of the tank, breathing is slightly laboured. They arnt acting as usual, for example they dont rush to the front hoping for food. They are eating but with much less gusto. The biggest severum (worst effected) eats very little and sometimes cant be bothered

2. List the fish that are exhibiting the above symptoms/behaviour: genus and species name.

8cm Heros Severus (gold varient)

7.5cm Heros Severus (gold varient)

6cm Heros Severus (gold varient)

3. When and how did the symptons/behaviour start?

I first noticed it two days ago (2/10). However i hadn't seen these fish in two weeks.

4. How old are the affected/sick fish?

They are about 3 moths old since i got them. They were only 2-3cm then so they couldnt have been much older.

5. Have any new fish been added to the tank?

6 Rummy noses

2 Balloon Rams

4 of the rummy noses and both the Ram's died, along with that 2 of the oringal neons also died. Their bodies were left in the tank, hence the really high nitrate. They were probably made a snack of by the dominateing fish (usually the severums and BN). I didnt see how they fish died.

6. Has anything 'special' happened recently?

After the two week stint (no water change) The nitrate read 40-80 or in the 'red'. They showed the lethargicness the night before the water change, i thought this was attributed to the high nitrates. 6 hours after the water change there's still no marked improvment.

7. What are the water parameters? (where relevant)

- pH = 7.4

- kH =2

- gH =2

- Temp = 27C

- O2 content = no test

- CO2 additions = 0

- NH3 = 0

- NO2 = no test kit

- NO3 = <20

- Metals (copper, iron, lead) = no test kit

8. Describe the aquarium and its contents

380L It's been up for around 1.5 years

Filtered by Aquaone cf1000 (1000l/h) and a Ehiem 2215 (720l/h) with outtake on a RUGF.

6 rummy nose

3 neon tetra

1 boesmani

2 parkinsoni

4 angles

3 Bristle Nose

2 blue gourami

3 swordtails

They are all very active and acting normal

9. When was the water last changed and how much was changed?

Today morning (3/10) 50% with a grav-vac

10. When was the filter last cleaned?

with the water change (3/10)

Ehiem Canister is unhooked, the floss is cleaned by squeezing under aquarium water, the other media is left in aquarium water, matrix is cleaned gently and kept under water, sponges are cleaned like floss. Everything is put back together and the canister is hooked back up to the tank.

Aquaone was cleaned two weeks ago (20/10) The sponge and floss were cleaned like the Ehiem.

11. What brand and type of food has been used over the past month?

Tetra colour bits

Tetra tropical crisps

Hikari cichlid staple

Algae disks

Shrimp pellets

Hikari brozen brineshrimp

Do they scratch themselves at all? Sometimes whitespot doesn't show up

Clutching at straws hey. maybe extra water changes to make sure the nitrate is brought right down?

Hi patchy,

Thanks for goiung to the trouble of filling out the diagnosis sheet.

My main concern is the fact that some new fish were added then the losses began. I have found severums (large ones especially) to be quite sooky and go off their food if "new things" happen to their environment.

Because you have just cleaned the filter adding antibiotics may knock out the filter, however I would be treating with acriflavine if you can get hold of it. Be aware of the filter factor though and watch for ammonia.

I cannot be sure of the diagnosis however I have found that acriflavine seems to help in these types of cricumstances.

It is hard to say whether the new additions caused the problem (ie. introduced a disease) or whether it is coincidental.

Andrea smile.gif

Thanks for the reply guys

Ash: They're not scratching themselves, i'm 100% on that one as i've seen how they scratch (had ich about 2 months ago). I'm actually not seeing this tank for another week, its a long story. However school holidays are comming up and i will be spending it with these fishies.

Merjo: THe fish were bought by my brother, i've seen the rams at the store before and they looked in good health but i didnt see the ones he bought, they must'nt have been to different. THe rummy noes's were also in good health. My brother didnt introduce them properly, ie no water balancing i think that killed the rams but the rummy noses? i'm not so sure... Right now i'm hoping that they are just being sooky, i've left the lights off today and i might continue until they get abit better. They dont seem to be too interested in eating as well. I will keep a lookout for ammoia, even if the filter bugged out the second canister as well as the UGF should keep ammonia in cheack, i'll cheack anyway

true that, unless something toxic found it's way into the water eg: a family member topping up evaporation without dechlorinating the water? chloromine may just wipe out all the bacteria in one hit?

how about aerosol sprays?

clutching at straws here

Nothing happened to the tank that i dont know of, aerosol sprays or nothing.

Well what ever it is it's spreading. THe rummy noses are looking very pale. One of the angles died as well as a swordtail. The other angles are beginning to look lethargic and one of the gourami looks like it just got a flesh wound, dont know what from though...

The nitrates are abit high though, around 30-40. Ammonia is 0. Could this be tape worms? or is it some toxin in my water. Anyway it's getting a water change on saturday morning.

Archived