Taiwan Reef Tankmates

PlecoSam

Hey Guys,

I have just acquired a 4' x 18" x 18" which will house a colony of Protomelas Cichlids... Taiwan Reefs to be precise, any suitable tank mates which will not crossbreed. Thanks peeps.

Cheers,
Sambo.

My favorite would be placidochromis phenochilus white lip mdoka plus electric yellows. Lots of colour with them plus the Taiwan Reefs and they would get on well. I would steer clear of other protomelas such as spilonotus tanzania and red empress as they would dominate the taiwan reef.

No disrespect to Bruce here but I would not be sticking an alto in with Protomelas or any other malawi species. I'm not really saying that the combo would be a complete fail. it may work but I doubt it. Different water conditions, energy levels ,breeding and completely different attitudes (temperament) in fish for me.

My rule of thumb for a tank with 2 species sharing is one open water fish (Protomelas) and one rock dwelling fish (mbuna) will generally set you right.

Its a rule of thumb I generally keep for cichid species of varieing lakes etc if I can, especially if you are going to breed.

Also remember that all fish can cross and that careful examination of fish is needed before you sell them on. Not talking about alto x Proto here though just saying you need to be mindful.

edit - spelling

I think opinion is pretty divided on mixing fish from different lakes. I've found Altos to mix well with milder mannered malawis for years. However, this may not be everyone's experience. People's experience may vary according to tank size, individual temperament of their fish and numbers of individuals in the tank. The can be true for Malawi only tanks too.

Whatever you choose to put in your tank, make sure your decision is well researched.

No disrespect taken Chuck

Chuck has good advice here about thinking about the area in the tank a species will occupy and avoid placing two species that may compete for this space will help to have a relatively harmonious tank

Archived