Daphnia outbreak?

Josh

Hey All

I have had the weirdest thing happen in a tank tonight.

I went to the fish room to feed the fish. I got around to my Bristlenose tank and the water was moving.. My bristlenose tank is a bit of a mess 200 odd bristlenose eating wood tends to make it a bit messy. I thought it was dirt so freaked a bit, I only did a water change yesterday, but after closer inspection, I have found out its Daphnia. I had to drag out the old microscope to be sure. These things are tiny at the moment, less then half a millimeter at a guess.

In all my years keeping fish I have never seen this happen in my aquarium or any aquarium. I have never feed Daphnia to my fish and the tank was new when I set it up. The only thing I have added is some drift wood that has been sitting around the fishroom for at least 12 months and thats been in there for a month

So I did a bit of research and it seem eggs can lay dormant for up to 20 years....

It will come in handy as I have gotten a new spawn of Kribs and Have a black Calvus girl on eggs too.

Has anyone else had this happen to their tanks

I guess I am lucky they are in my Bristlenose tank. Nothing to eat them in there.

Archived