sexing mainganos/cobalt blues/hongi

robdog013

HI guys I have recently inherited colonies of the above and dont know how to sex them?

can u guys provide any insight?

Males are usually more colourful and a lot more agressive! Some males will also have lots of egg spots on their anal fins. Do you know how to vent sex? What sizes are the fish? Any photos?

Ben

the cobalts arer about 10cms, the mainganos range in size from 8cm to 3cms, and I have 3 hongi all about 10-7cms, once I get my digital camera working I will post the pics

You wont be able to sex maingano's or cobalts by their colour. the hongi's should be OK to sex that way

Hey,

Hongi's are easy to sex.

My male is larger and colourful all the time. A light blue with yellow and black bands down over his forehead and orange fins. The females are a drab colour and usually the one getting chased by the male. The female will show some colour when showing aggression, but its only very slight. Nothing like the male.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks yellow,

the light blue colouration also occurs when a male asserts his dominance over the herd, i've found when I remove him from the tank another sub-dominant male fires up.

I think its time to get my hands wet..

:dntknw:

thanks for the advice guys

I love my fully grown cobalts :wub

Archived