Blue-green Algae Remedy - 2

CThompson

Hey Craig,

I noticed that bubbles came off the BG after about 40 hours, then about 12 hours after that I found that most of the BG was gone with a little floating on the top of the tank (dead), I then changed some water (about 30%) I added another half dose and then left the tank for a week changed 30% water and that was the end of the BG. I havent seen any since.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

I only got your advice today, so I had to make it up as I went along. I did a 1/3 water change on Saturday (tablets put in on Thursday night), and added a further 11 tablets (all that was left) which was less than a full dose of 15 tablets but figured there was plenty still in there, so should be okay.

There is an incredible slick of bubbles stuck in some sort of “film” that has formed on the surface, the reason I guess the bottle recommends increasing the aeration. The water has gone this incredible dark burgundy/red/black colour, that has greatly reduced the light in the tank, which has gone very dark. The Tropheus didn’t like it at first, becoming more shy, but they seem to have gotten used to it.

I did another water change on Sunday taking out a further 1/3 of the water. The BG is not happy (-;

It reacted to the first dosing, (I saw the little bubbles you mentioned too) and its smooth edges became erratic with indicated to me it was no longer growing and causing a nice smooth/rounded growth edge. I was a little surprised that it didn’t have a greater effect/reduction, but as I have been sucking as much out as I could with the water changes, and have not had it re-occurring as it would after a usual water change, it is hugely reduced in its coverage.

I take heart in your further information Anthony that at the end of the week, it will be all gone, and I will leave the tank till the weekend to do another water change, where I will take out 50% of the water.

Craig

Different sort of bacteria, so no it will be fine. And just in case you are doubtful, I have a Phosphate alert in there, and it has stayed at zero, checked as recently as last night.

And yes it is great to have this forum, it is why I take the time to respond, sometimes at length, as a way of appreciation.

Craig

Just a few things,

How did you know it was blue green algae?

There are so many different type of cyanobacteria, and not all of them are bad, ie think spirilina!

Brett,

No it did not affect any bacteria that cycle the tank.

Trofius,

I’ve had fish for thirty years, I like to think that in that time I have picked up a thing or two. But to lay the question to rest. The antibiotic killed it.

Define “bad”? It was ugly, messy, covered all available surfaces, prevented algae from growing (blocking light to it), and tripled tank maintenance…. Would you call that good or bad?

Fish eat spirilina, they didn’t touch what I had in my tank, I wish they did, then I would introduce it to the tank as a food source. Gosh, with the speed it grew, I wouldn’t ever have to feed my Tropheus again!

I wish I had a digital camera then I could post some photos for you. You would understand immediately.

Thanks for your comments,

Craig

Guest Gutty

Glad to hear you finally got it sorted Craig. Your BG algae was older than most my tank inhabitants.. LOL.gif

Matt

Hi Craig

yep sounds nasty, from an asthetics point of view, and stopping algae from growing.. I also have some funky algae growing in one of my tanks with the tropheus. most of the rocks have a nice cover and and the Tropheus like it but on the edges it is long and really skanky, catches food and has a almost greyish look about it, and it gets thick like about 5mm, with sand and stuff mixed in with it.. I wonder if i have a similar stuff to you..My Tropheus wont touch it..

When i refered to it being bad I was thinking of the stuff that grows in rivers etc and can releasse toxins.. one case i read about it growing on an island somewere in a volcano lake.. the local authorities treated it with copper sulphate and it killed the bloom, (ruptured all the cell walls) this inadvertantly released all the toxins into the water.. (the islands drinking water) This resulted in about 80 people dead and hundreds more seriosly ill... So thats what I really ment by Bad..

Agreed, there is bad and there is BAD.

The sort of problems that BG cause outside tanks is not to my understanding, the sort of problem we as aquatists experience. However, in these small environments we create inside out homes, we need to be totally in the drivers seat, and in my opinion, anything that we cannot control, is a bad thing for us as aquatists.

Blue green algae, does not have to be blue or green, for example, I have seen it in a brown purple sort of colour. I think a lot of people have BG without realising it. Ways you can tell what you have is that it doesn’t have a great grip on what it grows on, so if you swish your hand above it, you will be likely to take the BG with the water movement. Also, its rate of growth can be a give away, as it can really grow fast.

Often one can have BG in your tank, and it never gets to a point where it becomes an issue. At times too, whatever conditions that have encouraged it, change, and it dies out. If it does get to be an issue, the first thing you need to do is work out why it is getting a foothold, and try to eliminate it that way. If you can’t change the conditions that have the BG flourishing, then you may need to look at medication.

Craig

Archived