Fry

Bradc

I have a 10g fry tank and have mixed species of fry in there. Fuelleborni and hongi. And at different stages some a few weeks before others. Just running a sponge filter in there. Ph 7.8 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates practically 0 as i do water changes on it every 2nd day of about 50%. 

Now heres my issue once the fry reach about the 1cm they die. There are some that are surviving of multiple species but numbers are dwindling.

Ok so obviously i have done or are doing something wrong or these fry wouldnt be dropping like flies. I clean the sponge filter out once a week sometimes i forget and its abit over a week. I clean it out in tank water so im not killing the BB.

Any advice would be appreciated cheers.

You're cleaning your sponge filter out way to often regardless if you're washing in tank water you only need to do it every couple months if that IMO in my fry tanks I have two sponges and only clean one every 3 months fry don't make lots of waste.

Also try doing 25 % water changes as 50% can sometimes shock them

Yeah righto ive got it stocked pretty heavy with fry and seems to be a fair amount of food that doesnt get eaten (im literally droping a pinch of crushed pellets twice a day) also i just put in the bucket of tank water and give it 1 good squeeze and put it back in mainly to get rid of the crap stuck to it. I mean your probably right but its got 2 sponges on the 1 filter and i probably do them fortnightly more then weekly and i alternate which 1 i clean. Was afraid i may shock the system doing them both at the same time. Sorry probably should of mentioned that before.

Ill get 1 tomorrow link and put it up its in the young lads room and hes said goodnight to big dog already.

No substrate in there and back intake with the yellow sponge isnt on hasn't been since fry were dropped in. And thats the sponge filter ive been using just sat down lower and removed that redundant air line and stone.

Id think if it were me cleaning the filters to often the smaller fry would die to its just the larger ones. Its abit weird.

I thought i may have been over stocked or need more hiding space or something as when they are getting bigger they are starting to shape up but ive only noticed that over the past day or so and ive lost fry at that 1cm mark for a few weeks now

2 pinches of food daily. From what ive researched before trying to keep fry apart from filter cleaning ive been pretty much on the money as far as maintenance and feeding. I think i asked the group how many times they feed their fry and what they feed their fry a month or so ago.

Ill get some marine pure balls. Do you put them above the sponge filter so the bubbles move over them like you would with media in a bag? 

And doesnt constant water changes help the fry grow as they dont deal with nitrates very well? 

Sorry if im sounding rude or ignorant but im just comparing past research ive done with your comments im definitely not trying to argue with you at all. Just trying to learn is all.

anywhere is ok i just throw them in my tank...the more the better...you can even drill a hole straight through(airline thickness) a coulpe of them and drop on the airline you have with the airstone. to have water passing them

feed well... water changes weekly

all should be good

and if you have a couple of med size catfish they clean up 

I suspect it can take a while for the cycle to mature in fry tanks, and before that happens the leftover waste from frequent feedings can be dangerous. Like suggested increase the biological available filter area, make sure there's enough aeration, and if it's getting too dirty do more vacuums of waste between your weekly water change.

The only thing I would add is that live food like bbs or microworms can create less waste because more of it gets eaten, and less fish starve because they have longer to consume it before it dissolves away or goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i havent lost any since switching foods so im putting it down to that.

Tank was established as a hospital tank so sponge filters have been in action for 6 or so months.

Swapped to crushed dianichi and havent had any others die so hopefully that was the issue.

Ocean nutrition do a good BBS which really adds weight on them quickly and they can't get enough. Only thing is its a bit pricey.  

Also NLS have a fry powder which is cheaper and works good too. Either options leave minimal left over food residue problems.

I try leave them seperated in the same tank water they come out of for the first week or two then transfer them into another tank using at least 50% of that water again. 

Good luck mate. 

Paul 

Archived