Strange growth inside canister filter

cuokuo

I was wondering if anyone can identify why this *thing* is growing inside my canister filter and whether its good or bad...

The growth looks like something out of a sci-fi movie with tentacle/vine like growth spreading out on the bottom of the filter tray. Another interesting thing is when i poked the thing i noticed that the little black dots that you see inside the "tentacles/vines" actually move back and forth as pressure is applied to the growth indicating that its some hollow tube with sometihng inside.

pic of growth

Cheers,

Victor

It could be a bacterial colony in a biofilm.....bacteria excrete slime that provide protection to the group

I've had similar growths on driftwood.....They don't seem to do any harm???

• 2 weeks later...

I posted on a couple other forums and it turned out to be bacterial colony (biofilm) I apparently had too much nutrients in the water which was true since i was temporarily overstocking the tank.

I ended up getting rid of it though...even though it could have been beneficial my filter would have worked fine without it and it wasnt worth the risk in case it was beneficial. Was kinda hard to remove though

Thanks for everyones help

Archived