Lake Tanganyika tank

chrisso81

Thanks for the compliments guys, this tank is my pride and joy and it's the only one allowed out of the fish room!

Grant, I'm pretty sure its Anubias barteri, I bought 1 lonely plant a few years ago and its tough as nails. You can cut the stuff up and it just keeps on truckin, those plants in the tank are all offspring so to speak.

Rosco, the inhabitants are:

14 leptosoma mpulungu

Trio of leleupi

Pair white calvus

Pair cylindricus

pair transcriptus 'gombe'

1 occelatus

1 bn

nice stock list you have. How do your lelelupi, Gombe and Cylindricus get on? I assume the tank is big enough so they can have their own space and not clash and are they breeding

cheers

rosco

nice stock list you have. How do your lelelupi, Gombe and Cylindricus get on? I assume the tank is big enough so they can have their own space and not clash and are they breeding

cheers

rosco

good question rosco. i have heard cylindricus will be very aggressive to anything with similar bodyshape when they are breeding.

ps beautiful tank, i can see why you are proud of it. keep up the good work

Alrighty, Rosco, you ready for the saga to unfold?

The Cyps breed really well, every few weeks theres 5-6 fry hanging around the top corners of the tank, they don't really get bothered by anyone when they're doin the business!

The leleupi breed really well too, they have a massive chunk of 'holey'rock that they spawn in, I've had both girls on eggs at the same time in the same rock. However, if they aren't up to breeding, they get the boot quick smart, sometimes its just one, sometimes both. When they're both booted they really go at it hammer and tongs all over the tank.

That was the good news, this is the bad:

The male cylindricus is very intolerant of anyone venturing into his territory, even the female. They haven't spawned to my knowledge, they're probably 2 boys knowing my luck. Although, there is a very noticeable size difference.

The female cylindricus MAY have spawned with my calvus, they seem to share the same rock section of the tank and a few weeks ago there was an explosion of fry, there's maybe 1 or 2 left now. Might just grow them out to see whats goin on. OR it may have been the actual calvus pair, I just don't know.

No spawning from the calvus that I've seen, the female has been a bit timid lately and I think she may have been bashed by the slapper cylindricus. Male seems preoccupied with his new 'love' anyway.

The lone occelatus female seems very tolerant of a few fry that are hangin around her shell bed, I've never seen any in her shell, but with the way things are goin, she's probably sleeping with the cylindricus male.

The gombe's were going great until I added 4 J. ornatus about 6 months ago. Then the male gombe killed 3 of them, divorced his own missus and is now happily producing hundreds of mongrel babies for me with the last ornatus. No wonder Ad Konings specifically warns people about keeping these 2 juli's together in the Tanganyika Back to Nature Guide. Read that a little too late.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I'm worried that if I move any pairs out, they may not do anything breeding wise or even kill each other as that loving feeling is just gone.

And, on a final note, THIS SERVES AS A WARNING TO ANYONE WHO THINKS THEIR TANG TANK IS BEYOND CROSS BREEDING. I don't take any fry from this tank.

VIS: The lighting is a 6ft twin Heto light, 2 tubes are the Sylvania growlux ones (?) and the other 2 are the standard ones. The anubias thrive in the low light levels, the tubes are probably 2 years old so I doubt their pumping out any useful light anyway (plantwise).

Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments about my tank from Hybrid hell!

hey at least it looks pretty!! :lol4:

it sounds like a malawi tank i had, i had a male hongi who would mate with ANYTHING! i think the only thing he didnt try it with was the gibbiceps i had in there.

look on the bright side tha cyps are doing the right thing :thumbup:

Archived