Cutting Perspex

Fins

<H1>Tips On Cutting Perspex</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: apINconcord</STRONG><BR><BR>Anyone got any? What sort of tool would you use do this.

<br>

Adam

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

<br>

I used a jigsaw, or steel saw on a 3-4mm perspex. Don't rush the job, otherwise you may break it.

<br>

<br>

HTH,

<br>

<br>

DD

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mbuna1</STRONG><BR><BR>i worked with some perspex in high school. we used a small jigsaw. be careful as it scratches easy.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: apINconcord</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks guys, Ill try the jigsaw first then the old hand saw if that fails.

<br>

Cheers

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>Jigsaw works well.... but as said, scratches easy too.

<br>

<br>

Alternatively get a very sharp stanley knife and a steel ruler, score along the cut many times (first time is hardest and most important)... and then set up on a straight edge. Apply pressure quickly and it should snap along the line - nice straight cut, though not always a square break. I've found this method the best so far after a lot of practise to get it just right and learn the little tricks.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Adam

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hoolig</STRONG><BR><BR>I bought two cut to size sheets the shop cut it with a circular saw it was 4mm thick.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Harward</STRONG><BR><BR>I use perspex all the time (

My Bussiness

) and i find a circular saw usually works best, have a go at plaining(planing ?) the edges if you want them nice, will come up good if you have a nice sharp blade and take small cuts. A propane flame will also make the edges nice and smooth.

<br>

<br>

<br>

Might have to try the score and snap method next time........

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>Oh and i forgot to mention..

<br>

<br>

If the perspex does not still have its protective paper on it, around where your cut is apply a very sticky masking tape (not the painters type) to both sides and mark the tape where you want the cut. If you're using a jig saw this can reduce the scratching, and it can help with fragmenting or chipping around the edges where using more robust methods (circular saws etc).

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Adam

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: colfish</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Harward

<br>

maybe not quite injection moulding, but do you have any clues on sticking the awfull stuff together

<br>

colfish

</DIV>

Archived