Adding Home made water conditioners to Malawi tank

malawi sand diver

I'm wondering what people add with each water change for Malawi, instead of buying a commercial cichlid salt products?

I have all the 3 main ingredients which I believe would form the basis of the commercial products.

Baking Soda - (PH)

Epsom Salts - (KH)

Salt (not table) - (GH)

Is there any other ingredients such as trace elements that people would add?

Cheers, Rob

OK cheers guys. I add about 1 teaspoon of each per large bucket with my water change. I have heaps of holey rock & coral sand so I add a bit less bi carb.

I get a 1kg packet of Epsom Salts for $6 at the supermarket and buy a 1kg milk carton of Aquarium salt for about $6 aswell. Then the bi carb is cheap aswell from the supermarket.

So if its equal parts, you can end up with 3kg for around 16 bucks, which saves money in the long run.

There is a thread on here in the cichlid discussion sub forum I believe that had a complex DIY mixture which someone with a very detailed knowledge of water conditions had come up with. Would be worth trying to dig it up but I can't remember any other details about it!?

OK cheers guys. I add about 1 teaspoon of each per large bucket with my water change. I have heaps of holey rock & coral sand so I add a bit less bi carb.

I get a 1kg packet of Epsom Salts for $6 at the supermarket and buy a 1kg milk carton of Aquarium salt for about $6 aswell. Then the bi carb is cheap aswell from the supermarket.

So if its equal parts, you can end up with 3kg for around 16 bucks, which saves money in the long run.

Where did you buy 1kg Epsom Salts for $6 may i ask? im being looking for it for ages but it is too expensive if you buy Epsom Salt from Chemist

Thanks

Peter

3 Ingredients -

Bi-Carbonate Soda (Baking Soda) - $7 for 5kg from a Horse Feed Store - Alters pH and KH

Epsom Salts - $8 for 5kg from the same store. - Alters GH

Marine Salt - $35 for 6.7kg.

Total cost = $50

I found that the best ratio is 3 teaspoons to every 60L. This gave me pretty much perfect parameters of:

pH: 8.2 (Heavy aeration alone brought it to around 8.0)

GH: 286.4 ppm (16dGH)

KH: 196.9 ppm (11dKH)

This would treat 20,830 Litres!!! You would still have 300g left of both the Epsom salt and marine salt. Depending on how much of a water change you did per week would depend on how long it would last. I do 60L a week + 10L for the bottom of the barrel so this should last me over 5.5 years!

This is obviously all dependent on what the parameters are if the water that comes out of your tap. Best way is to put 60L of water in a drum and test the parameters. Then add 1 teaspoon of one additive and test a couple hours later and continue adding until you reach the desired level. Then move onto the next additive and so forth until you reach the desired levels. The DIY mix is the way to go because you can customize it to reach whatever levels your wish rather than the limits of the expensive products.

I got my Epsom Salts from Woolworths (they are in the bath salt section) for $6/kg and thought that was cheap but the above $50 investment would surely save hundreds of dollars in the long run. I am using a similar ratio to yours aswell.

Thanks for posting the info.

Regards, Rob

• 7 months later...

it all depends on your local water supply as to the ratio required as mentioned

so its best to play around with it till you get required results. i agree with firthy in

regards to the pool salt it is a bit too commercial for my liking and there is also alot of debate in regards to really needing

that much salt. marine salt has alot higher mineral content when i add salt i use marine.

but like they say stability is the key it is better to be constant and in the range than messing with it too much.

mark

Archived