Aquarium Hobbyist Photo Comp

Saratoga

Hi good people of ACE,

I am pleased to announce that ACE Admins & Mods have approved a photo comp sponsored by Aquarium Hobbyist.

The Aquarium Hobbyist Photo Comp is designed to encourage the home hobbyist to show & share their fish, tanks and photo skills. Though all photo's are welcome and noting many top photographers here @ ACE...

With this comp we wish to focus & encourage amateur photographers and will have some rules to reflect this.

The Theme - "Cichlid - Full Tank Shot"

The photo could be planted tank with apisto's clearly visible or could be solid rock wall with some Africans. Photos MUST be a "Full Tank Shot" & have a cichlid / cichlids clearly visible.

The Rules

a) Entrants must be "amateur status" - never publishing a prize winning pic in a comp and never received money for their work.

b) Photo must be a recent pic that has not been entered in any photo comp previously.

c) Tank & Fish must be yours - no pics from lfs thanks.

d) Photo must comply with the "Theme" & the "Rules"

e) Winners have 14 days to claim prizes from the announcement date of winners.

f) Admins & Mods are welcome to enter but they will not vote for top 10.

g) Admins & Mods not competing will vote top 10 photo's.

h) A public poll will then be held to find our top 3 winners.

i) No hybrids

The Prizes: PLUS a **Bonus**

1st Place: $100 Shop Voucher + Bonus

2nd Place: $60 Shop Voucher + Bonus

3rd Place: $40 Shop Voucher + Bonus

The **Bonus** ... "30% Off Above Voucher Value Sale"

"30% Off Above Voucher Value Sale" - Explanation

For "Every Additional Voucher Value" purchase "Above" the voucher value will receive 30% Off that "Additional Voucher Value"

IE: 1st place winner has a Shop Voucher for $100...

They may select either instore or website $100 (inc freight/postage) FREE

.... PLUS **The Bonus** they may select $200 and only pay $70.00 = "30% Off Above Voucher Value Sale"

or may select $300 and only pay $140 etc.. select $400, select $500 and still receive the bonus etc...

2nd place winner has a Shop Voucher for $60, PLUS **The Bonus** they may select $120 and only pay $42.00, or may select $180 etc...

3rd place winner has a Shop Voucher for $40, PLUS **The Bonus** they may select $80 and only pay $28.00, or may select $120 etc

Please do not post pics in this thread, a new thread will be started when the comp is opened 1st April.

Feel free to ask any questions here.

Hopefully we can get enough interest / submissions in this comp to get the sponsor to do it again :thumbup:

Buy fresh batteries, clean your glass and Start Snappin !!!

Cheers

Joe

*edit* 3rd place bonus had maths error.

cant wait to see some of the pics, i only have a bad old camera and no clue how to take good pics lol

Hi benno,

Mate dont let that stop you... please... im sure if you followed a couple of basics: clean glass, do water change day before, have dark room & good tank lighting, use a tripod or sit on a backwards chair using head rest for camera stability.. then take the time to shoot a hundred pics... you would be very surprised by at least 1 of them. (bribe a mate with a 6 pac to bring his camera, as I have done)

This comp is all about us amateurs.

A good place to start is a 10 minute read of the "Photo Tips" thread.

I recon a "great photo" (quality/clarity/focus) that has very little "feel" could easily be out voted by a "nice photo" that has a stunning "presence".

Cheers

Joe

Great idea. Look forward to it. Might try and throw something up

However

Everything needs a devils advocate :)

a) Entrants must be "amateur status" - never publishing a prize winning pic in a comp and never received money for their work

I'm an amateur but years ago when breeding dogs I won a photo comp for a photo I took of a puppy and a small child. Does that rule me out? There was a monetary gratuity with the prize. Also does it mean a winner here can't enter again after they have won once?

I'm not going to cast aspersions but there is obviously scope for a conflict there.

Will Admins and Mods who picked the top 10 be voting again in the public poll?

i) No hybrids

OK rule for obvious fish like Flowerhorns but who will be the judge of whether a fish is hybrid or not based on a single photo? With colours that may or may not be accurate. With features distorted due to glass/camera angle anomalies. With people not knowing they have a hybrid but have the otherwise winning pic. I can see that leading to arguments.

Hi Frenzy,

Everything needs a devils advocate :)
I agree & thanks for your thoughts.

I cant speak for the ACE Admin & Mod Team, though I can speak for Aquarium Hobbyist & I think the spirit of this comp is not overly complicated.

I have had communication with the ACE Team whom did the same as yourself and offered alterations of initial draft of the 1st post.

a) Entrants must be "amateur status" - never publishing a prize winning pic in a comp and never received money for their work

I'm an amateur but years ago when breeding dogs I won a photo comp for a photo I took of a puppy and a small child. Does that rule me out? There was a monetary gratuity with the prize. Also does it mean a winner here can't enter again after they have won once?

The first part - I would say that if you have not entered & won a place in an "Internet Forum Aquarium Comp" ... and you are not a part time "paid professional photographer" you are eligible to enter.... I look forward to your entry.

The second part - The direct answer is yes, you are correct... previous top 3 winners of any aquarium internet forum photo comp are not eligible to enter on this occasion. If you do win this comp then yes, you may enter any subsequent comp that does not have the same "Amateur Status" as stated in this comp.

Perhaps next comp for the "Leet" pics. ?

Personally I am at awe with so many of the pic's on this forum much less others, from "seasoned semi-pro's"... the quality of "Great Pics" has risen so much it really is a pleasure to view what "non amateur" photographers do share with the community.

As stated in my opening & subsequent posts, on this occasion, this comp is to encourage the amateurs to grab a camera(any old crappy camera) and spend a little time with their fish and share the pics with us all.

I'm not going to cast aspersions but there is obviously scope for a conflict there.

Will Admins and Mods who picked the top 10 be voting again in the public poll?

The original thought was to get flooded with 100 photos, perhaps an Admin might enter.... to keep it east for the forum - how to thin down to easy public vote, then was the idea of Admins vote Top10, to keep it open & fair- if an Admin or Mod enters the they may not vote in Top10.

OK, yes there is still potential for "conflict". Personally, the ACE Team are one of the best & fairest on the "fishnet" - I dont see this being an issue.

On the same note, what if it is a draw ? Who's vote is the final ?

I offer not to vote Top10, though my 1 vote of many in the public final vote would be hard considered a "conflict".... or should I only get to vote if it is a draw ? should neither I or ACE Admin & Mods be eligible in public vote... yes, unanswered / unaddressed scenario's....

... but will leave it open for one of the ACE Team to put forward their thoughts.

i) No hybrids

OK rule for obvious fish like Flowerhorns but who will be the judge of whether a fish is hybrid or not based on a single photo? With colours that may or may not be accurate. With features distorted due to glass/camera angle anomalies. With people not knowing they have a hybrid but have the otherwise winning pic. I can see that leading to arguments.

Im sure the ACE Team will jump in here.

As stated in The ACE Rules , hybrids are discouraged in all forms, in all areas of this forum, this rule would also apply to this photo comp.

If what you suggest does happen then it will be an informative lesson for the owner/photographer.... I am also confident that if the "distortion/glass/camera angles" scenario happens that common sense & info from "the pro's" will finalize it.

Again, I will leave it open for one of the ACE Team to put forward their thoughts.

Again Frenzy - The Spirit of the comp is "Amateurs Grab your camera's" .... try to keep it simple and give the small folk a chance to win a great prize.

Perhaps the next (?) comp will bring out the "leet" pics.

Please... keep the comments coming.

This comp is for you.

I recon a "great photo" (quality/clarity/focus) that has very little "feel" could easily be out voted by a "nice photo" that has a stunning "presence".

Cheers

Joe

Cheers

Joe

**Forum Note** The references / rules & discussion in this thread referring to "Photo Comps" ONLY Applies to this "Amateur" Photo Comp sponsored by Aquarium Hobbyist.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I applaud the intentions that this month's competition is open to amateurs.

We have always battled with the idea that it is not worth entering photo comps because "the same people always win". The idea was for people to get involved and show off their cichlid tanks and fish. As Joe has said there may be changes to rules in future competitions which will allow past winners, semi-professionals and professional photographers to get involved. We have some outstanding photographers who get paid to take photos, have published photos and been paid for photographs in aquarium magazines. This month's comp is not geared for them.

As with all online competitions there is always scope for conflicts in interest. All I can say is that we are a fairly professional group of individuals who take our roles here on ACE seriously. I don't think we would jeopardise our standing here on ACE for a competition. We hope that members will vote the same level of honesty. Previously photo comps were solely voted on by the Mods and Admins with the deciding vote residing with the sponsor. Ultimately with the new comp the voting power resides with the members. I can't see there being an issue if the Admins and Mods have narrowed the field down to 10 that they have the opportunity to vote of the photo that they think is best.

As a forum and hobby we promote a sensible stance regarding hybrids. To have a tank full of hybrids would contravene this stance and we hope that members will support us. If there is problems with an entry then a quiet discussion is needed rather than an open attack in a public forum. As hybrid cichlids from discus and angelfish are limited to their respective genera, discussion and thus photos of these species are acceptable at ACE forums. This is in keeping with our rules.

I thank Joe and his team at Aquarium Hobbyist for suggesting this competition and organising the competition. The photography forum really allows members the opportunity for them show others their passion.

Hey Saratoga Ged,

Thanks for replying and taking my thoughts seriously enough to consider.

As I said, I wasn't wanting to cast aspersions but was involved in something similar on a forum I was an admin of and all manner of +*^%# hit the fan when mod won the photo contest. This was huge forum with 50,000 members :lol1:

Looking forward to the fun.

Hmmm.... Can hardly call it a comp with only 4 expressions of interest ?

Surely there are more that have not put hands up ?

Cheers

Joe

They will come out of the wood work once the comp is up and running.

sorry didnt realise you are looking fo rexpressions of interest.

bloody great idea, im in, and in it to win it. where do i post????

stereo net australia, to give the rest of us a chance

Discus / Angels are in for sure.

LOLS Batty.....

I will open a new thread shortly for people to post their entries.

Oooowwwww - test shots... I hope there are a few doing the same.

Looking forward to all your entries.

Cheers

Joe

Archived