help please

modda

well my convict is now dead he became festae food the melafix worked wonders on my female she was looking pretty darn good was eating again and all that with only a little bit of fin damage so i decided to take the devider out of the tank to let her mingle with the male they where ok for a little bit but then he got nasty towards her so i dont know not really good at this fish thing so any help would be appreciated thinking about makeing a devider with holes in it so she can get through and not him anyone got any other ideas or am i just traveling down the wrong path tryign to get these 2 to breed

Try using "egg crate", also known as light diffusor. You can get it from places that sell platic and perspex.

Do a search on the forum, and you will get a fair few threads about it.

Make sure you get just the plain plastic ones, without chrome coating.

You can cut out a few pieces in the egg crate to make a larger hole, and you got your solution!

-Rob

Have you looked at your local hardware store? Lighting shops and electrical wholesalers may have them too.

Some people have suggested using bread crates. You cut out the base of one, and use that for a divider.

If you decide to use a bread crate, make sure you wash it really well before putting it in your tank.

-Rob

Have you looked at your local hardware store? Lighting shops and electrical wholesalers may have them too.

Some people have suggested using bread crates. You cut out the base of one, and use that for a divider.

If you decide to use a bread crate, make sure you wash it really well before putting it in your tank.

-Rob

sorry for the late reply ive had computer problems for the last few days.with a bit of luck theyll have bred by now and all this will be irrelevant.alright here goes.first off upon introducing your male your female should change her colouration from this(note the blue dorsal fin)

IPB Image

to this

IPB Image

a common misconception is that this means shes ready to breed.it doesnt it means shes receptive to the thought of breeding.from this point on she'll start to become more and more responsive to the males advances until they finally start the actual spawning process.now theres no time limit on this it could be days,weeks or in the case of my umbriferum 40 long days :dntknw: .it just depends on the fish invovled.youll know theyre close to this when you start to see them "shivering" .theyll continue to do this more and more consistently until the females tube drops down(youll see this in the top pic).when you see this it wont be long at all

.now in order to get to this point without losing either of the fish involved theres two ways id recommend you go about it.if the males considerably bigger then your female you can put a divider between them with holes cut in it that only the female can squeeze through.this way the female can enter and leave the males side whenever she likes.when you do this you put the object that you want her to lay on on his side.heres a pic of what i mean below

IPB Image

this is the female having entered throught the hole now cleaning the spawning site

IPB Image

i find this the best method but unfortunately it can only be employed if you have a larger male then female.if this isnt the case then never fear there is a solution.its similar to the one above just put a divider between them with a piece of slate underneath it so that its postioned like the pic below.position it either 50/50 or 60/40 her side.ive put gravel on this piece to keep him busy but its not necessary.

IPB Image

this way the female lays eggs on her side and the male fertilizes them from his side.with this method you have a lower percentage of fertilized eggs but to be honest with the central market in oz this can quite often be a good thing.to help with fertilization i often raise the divider a couple of cms off the floor of the tank this way the male can get in closer to the laying female.if you do this just make sure he cant get under because a gravid female is a good incentive for a male to try to squeeze through gaps he normally wouldnt consider.

alright thats it hopefully ive covered everything if i could say one thing in closing a good attribute for a central breeder to have is patience.give them time theyll breed when theyre ready if you try and move them along youll usually turn a breeding pair into a lone individual.good luck :thumb

Archived