Scarlet Badis

Rod54

wow didnt realise they were in aust! beautiful looking fish rod! there was a really good article on this fish in the tropical fish hobbyist magazine a few months back... did u read it?

No...I didn't see the article...but I will look for it!

I have 2 pair....one pair are spawning at the moment....or practicing???

They spawn like betta's but in the plants

IPB Image

Will try and get a better picture!

I'm feeding mine...

microworms, newly hatched mosquito larva(add egg rafts to tank) and live daphnia

and they are eating well.

They will only take (very small) live food or perhaps frozen....no flakes

I tried some cyclop-eze but they weren't interested.

These fish are sometimes described as Badis bengalensis....but they are Dario dario

Difference being Badis species spawn (bubblenest) in caves where as Dario scatter spawn (with a betta like embrace) in plants.....which is what mine are doing....but I haven't been able to spot any eggs yet.

I'm thinking I will get more females because the male seems to drive the female pretty hard and perhaps if there are a few he can chase.....they will collectively get more time to recuperate??

They seem to enjoy the heat...currently my tanks are about 27c :)

Rod,

I am trying to focus on my plan for breeding that I drafted up. Something I read about picking a direction and sticking to it.

Unfortunately I am easily distracted by new pretty fish. :lol1:

Can you stop getting me interested.

Steve

OK alternatively hurry up and breed them. Then I will have to get some babies :thumbup:

Hi Steve,

I know exactly where you are coming from....Never expected to ever see these in Aust....but there you go!

How are those A. panduro going?

The shellies are taking a backseat....but I think the little buggers know they have competition for the live food....my black occies are producing at last! I now have at least 5 pair of N. brevis!

Maybe I can give you back your little esky with some Scarlet badis in it!

Just give me a few months :lol3::lol3::lol3:

Regards....Rod

Archived