Evaporative cooling setup

Ash

Hey all,

I was just taking some pics of my Apisto tank & remembered some people (forgot who) had asked about the fans I installed in the hood of this tank - so here goes...

2 x 12cm 12v fans in home made box hood with variable voltage gismo from Jaycar to shut them up (run at ~7v) Drops temp from mid 30's to ~27deg on this 24"x12"x13" high tank.

My dodgy DIY hood, made from 6mm ply.

user posted image

Filter for the 12v fans.

user posted image

12cm 12v Fan up close - I have this one sucking in & blowing across the water & the one at the other end venting air out of the hood. These suckers push 80CFM at 12v! one of them is twice as powerful as a single more common 80mm fan.

user posted image

And here is the fan speed controller I made...

user posted image

Inside the box is one of these kits from Jaycar. I added the optional heatsink & put a 10K linear potentiometer in place of the last resistor, so I can quickly adjust the voltage to whatever I want.

The device is powered by generic 12vdc 1 amp plugpack, though you could get one of these & you won't need the speed controller - but where's the fun in that? tongue.gif Trust me you'll want some sort of voltage/speed control - these fans scream at 12v!

I've been meaning to post about this fan setup for a while as I know a few people are interested in a discreet alternative to pedestal fans.

Any questions? Make sure you have a clue about electronics before you make a kit like that, even if you just attach fans to a switchable plugpack make sure you have more amps than the fans will draw. The bigger the tank, the more fans you add or more voltage you run - up to your ears/budget/ambient temp.

Of course you need to have no lids within your hood so if you have jumping/splashing fish it could pose a problem - it's up to you to figure out if it's practical in your situation, but asthetically it beats the hell out of having hoods open & a fan pointed at them.

Cheers

Ash

ps: I have the fans on the same timer as the lights

Nice idea. Just a thought, could you use an old pc power supply to drive those fans as an alternative to the jay car kit ?

Yep, an older AT style with the power switch you mean? Could do the fan trick with +12v & +5v to get +7v too, they are just oversize computer fans. That little kit + a pot lets you have really fine adjustment though so personal preferance - could still use it with a PSU anyway instead of the little powerpack. Could use old 80mm fans from dead power supplies if you wanted, they don't pump as much air for a given amount of noise.

Archived