tank weight on 2nd storey of a house

Frosty

hey guys,

Friend just has a query, he wants to put some tanks upstairs but is scared that the weight might be too much.  As of right now he has a 6x18x20 running a sump setup.

now he wants to put another 2 4x2x2 in the same room, was wondering if any experts have any thoughts on if its too much weight? 

The house is 17 years old.

thanks in advance.

Edited by Frosty

Hi Frosty,

I had similar concerns chucking 600 litres of water + tank + gravel etc  (at a guess 700kg's) on the floor as i have a timber floor, I actually got a local builder out and he had a look under the house and suggested I add an extra cross beam to be sure (easy to get under the house, you can actually walk under most of it)

Point being it probably depends on where the support beams are situated in comparison to the tanks, also the tank stand, does it disperse the weight evenly accross teh floor area or does it hold all the weight in the corners etc (like a table) 

So if your mate has any concerns I suggest getting someone out to have a look, the local builder didn't charge me either as it took him 15 mins to have a look and a chat about what i was doing, I didn't want to take the risk of damage 

-I do remember a comment about a building code rule of thumb is to imagine if people where standing in the same space and averaged 80 kg per person, the floor would be built to cover that weight, so  4x2x2 is about 400 kg's plus at a guess, so could you fit five people on that floor space ? probably not, so i would get a professional to come out and check

Cheers