mark_82

Aquarium temperature controller

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here uses a temperature controller? I have once had a heater get stuck and lost a tank full of fish. I'm looking at buying an Inkbird ITC-308. The way it works is that it has a probe that detects temperature and when the temperature rises above a setpoint, it kills power to the outlet and the heater can’t turn on. These are also used by homebrews.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-ITC-308-AU-PLUG-Temperature-Controller-1-97-Probe-240V-Sous-vide-Brew/331875284839?hash=item4d454ef767:g:nXMAAOSwTw5Z3xTB

Edited by mark_82

I’ve started testing 1 out recently.

using an elitech stc-1000. Chose these over the inkbird as it appears they’ve been well reviewed, and “mostly” positive.

Good back up if your heater also has a thermostat. If your heater gets stuck, then the temp controller will kick in and shut it off.

I had a look at one of those but you have to wire it yourself and build a box for it. 

Yes,   but atleast you know the main component has been tried and tested. That’s the main Reason I went with the elitech.

plenty of wiring diagrams online on how to do it as well if you have the time.

Thanks for recommendation Momo.

What enclosure did you use for the temperature controller? Are you able to post a pic of your temperature controller?

Here you go... pretty much all components were available from jaycar... let me know if you have any questions

8EBDF888-237B-4AD5-8E58-E50569CF5E7B.jpeg

3D914F91-F5D3-45A5-A3BA-D4CC6758FF74.jpeg

303D7524-D31E-454C-B311-40309186939C.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for that momo. Your elitech Stc-1000 build looks good.

Edited by mark_82