feeding barramundi

mattyr

it should eat pellet foods

my friends one ate pellet foods and live foods like shrimp

it would normally eat a whole cube of frozen shrimp in 1 go :p

but yeh they aint exactly fussy

i have found barra to be pretty fussy eaters, should ask the person you got it from what they are eating, if you go pellets don't just chuck it in, you have to temp him like fishing, once he eats it it is easy but getting him to bite is the hard part, also if he has been on live fish, good luck getting him on pellets, they can be as stubben as my wife :p

haha i guess everyone has different experiences with them

the only way is trial and error try everything haha :p

and ask the guy you got it from

Mine ate cichlid pellets until they got a taste of fresh and live prawns and whitebait. Didnt want to touch pellets after that.

Inhaling a prawn

IPB Image

Eyeing off his live dinner...shrimp wasnt there 0.5 secs later!

IPB Image

Link to my barra feeding video

Cheers, Milhouse

my barra was a live food eater i tryed pellets frozen blood worms, prawns and he wouldnt touch them

he loved his yabbies and feeders , but on the same note my mates barra ate anything that you dropped in the tank ...... so it all depends

would be good to find out what last owner was feeding it if possible

• 1 month later...

ok well i think its to late.

Thanks for all your help

One piece of advice thats better late than never is- when keeping large fish your more inclined to feed larger food items which are usually meaty and messy(whitebait,beefheart,prawns etc). After feeding check the tank for left overs or bits that the fish have spat out for whatever reason... if you miss one piece, ammonia can go through the roof in no time... bye bye big fish.

I have 6 barra in my 8x3x2.5. Ranging from 25cm -45cm.

I feed a variety of chopped fish fillets, prawn and whitebait. They will also eat a little bit of pellets and sometimes broccoli and sprouts that my Giant gourami eats. They aren't fussy as long as they are off the live food.

Archived