Aussie Lung Fish

maw

Hi Guys,

I've read in another post that Aussie Lung Fish are more and more abundant in Qlds and I'm sure that someone is breeding/exporting them as there are at least 2 other pred. forums, that seem to have alot information on Aussie Lung fish and have newbie/first-time owners seeking answers...

So why aren't there more around in locally??

Rgds, MAW

there is only one farm that has the license to breed them (Qld - http://www.ceratodus.com/ )

i think that farm had abit of a hiccup last year and numbers were low hence they were sold out, there biggest market is Japan then the USA.

i was considering buying one ages ago through them, got quoted at $550 plus postage for a 6" < . But didnt ended up going through it, its just the ability to sell them to someone if you no longer want to keep it that might be difficult. But they are a nice species one which we should be proud of to have in our country, the most prehistoric.

This species is like comparing the asian arowana for the Australian market to the Australian lungfish for the Asian market. They would pay top dollar for these guys overseas.

Tam

yeah i had a 45 cm one, peacful fish, clumsy eaters, its CITIES protected, and they have be known to live for a long time over 20 years easily, very slow growers after they hit 30cm, only growing a couple of centimeters a year. plenty in qld, fisherman always cathching them, wait a while and the price should drop signifactly.

nick!

Thanks for the response, its is definitely a great fish...one to be proud of, hopefully the murray/mary cod would get the same rep. o/seas.

I agree that housing would be an issue long term, but if it just chills up when it reaches about 30cm, then it would fall in the same boat as other preds - ali gars, cods...Maybe a pond out the back would be ok every in states south of qld.

On another note

- why is the river blackfish (aussie native) such a hard fish to get? Has anyone seen one available.

Archived