Tank decorations-Rocks

</STRONG></DIV><H1>Tank decorations-Rocks</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

I was just wandering what type of rocks people are decorating their tanks with. Also how do you ensure that the rocks may not fall and hit the tanks? Finally, where do you get the rocks for a decent price? The ones my LFS are selling are quite expensive.

<br>

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

Huy

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Harward</STRONG><BR><BR>I'm using mostly river rocks(like big pebbles), they need to be placed on each other fairly carfully but it's not too hard, i have yet to have any fall. I bought mine from a landscape supplies(somewhere near albion park) very cheap. Would you believe the rocks shown(not the lava rock) cost me less than a dollar. I gave the guy a five and told him to get himself a beer. Thats just too cheap. Will be picking up some more this weekend hopefully.

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

Lata

<br>

Matt

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mbuna1</STRONG><BR><BR>i use sandstone in my tanks. You can pick it up at a cheap price from landscape supply place. Make sure you stack your rocks firmly so they dont fall and place foam under the base rocks (between the rock and glass) so the wieght is spread out more and wont crack your glass. There are some pics of my tanks here:

tanks

<P><STRONG>Author: akdod</STRONG><BR><BR>i use medium sized rocks in my tank (average is 20cm in diameter). because they aren't too big, i don't worry about them, but if you wanted to get some larger and heavier rocks maybe you could put some foam under them and cover the foam with your substrate.

<br>

<br>

<P><STRONG>Author: bimborocks</STRONG><BR><BR>i am using river pebles, about 15cm diameter and have them in a big pil;e in the back and one side of the tank, looks great especially when i leave them in the one spot for a montth or two and they get a carpet of algae growing on them, looks really natural.

<br>

<br>

James

<P><STRONG>Author: thekrib</STRONG><BR><BR>im using shale, and lava rock that i got for free. i collected it all in one place, and i stacked it in stable ways and glued it really well. then i have solid structures that are easy to remove and easy to put in. wil be really nice when i need to catch fish that live in the rocks, man it would be hard if they were stacked and i had to restack them. i just use marine sealent and glue them in towers, a tower about 1o inches wide x 6 inches tall with a depth of like 4 inches has over 15 caves. its like a laabirinth and my fish are gonna love it.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>I think glueing the rocks together is a good idea. It keeps it from falling and saves time in re-staking the rocks when you have to get them out. By the way Harward & mbuna, both of your tanks looks really great. I think I would need to find some river rocks too, but I will go to my nearby landscape supplies shop first to see what they have. Also, what type of foam do you put under the base rocks, and where do you buy them from?

<br>

<br>

Thanks for all the help everyone.

<br>

Huy

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: o BaZ o</STRONG><BR><BR>The sandstone in this tank cost me about $30 from a landscape supplies outlet.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BengaBoy</STRONG><BR><BR>put your bottom rocks straight on the glass (or foam if that is your preference) before you put your substrate in - that way if you have any diggers you wont get an avalanche..

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bimborocks</STRONG><BR><BR>nice looking tank there baz

<br>

<br>

when i first setup my tank i glued the rocks in place with silicone. this was great when the fish were growing up but once they started breeding i needed to take the rocks out on a regular basis to catch fry and holding girls. all i do now is stack the largest rocks at the bottom and then smaller ones on top making sure that they are all fitted together nicely.

<br>

<br>

James

<P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Here's $5 worth of slate rock from my local landscapers

<br>

<P><STRONG>Author: Molly Man</STRONG><BR><BR>Check out your local Flower Power outlet, (the ones that have a drive-in landscaping section are best).

<br>

<br>

You can get the river stones for less than $1 a stone... and they are a decent size, they also have some good pieces of bush rock, look atound for smashed up bits as the local FP here doesnt charge for them...

Archived